RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

KeepVault

joem

I went to their website to see that it would cost me $1700 to back up 500 gigs per year! Am I missing something here, or why would anyone pay that much with less expensive options out there?

Edited by joem

Mine quotes says $480 if I paid yearly or are you talking the business model as I don't see a way to check pricing for that. Either way, there's no way I could get that past my CFO.

You pay $480/year

Protect everything for just $1.32/day

I agree...I would be better of getting a NAS / DROBO or anything else and store it office site. Problem is tha most people don't backup offsite until it is too late. I'm guessing you are paying for the easy of use.

One thing to consider is what you are backing up to the cloud. Very few people have 500 gigs of actual critical data that would be candidates for cloud storage. If you remove media, most users end up with 40-100 gigs of storage needs. Despite having over 24T of storage in the house, I can get by with less than 80 gigs of cloud storage which is not expensive. I realize that everyone is different but you really have to examine your needs carefully when going to the cloud. Just my thouhts...

This is why I use CrashPlan. Unlimited storage for a set price. Of course they don't have a nice add-in for WHS, but now that DE is gone I don't feel this is a big of a deal as you can just remote into the server to set it up and then forget about it.

I do agree with pcdoc about not backing up everything you have and only backup up the critical stuff. Of course we all have a different opinion of what is critical to us.

This is why I use CrashPlan. Unlimited storage for a set price. Of course they don't have a nice add-in for WHS, but now that DE is gone I don't feel this is a big of a deal as you can just remote into the server to set it up and then forget about it.

I do agree with pcdoc about not backing up everything you have and only backup up the critical stuff. Of course we all have a different opinion of what is critical to us.

Just to clarify, I am a fan of backing up everything which is why I have a 10T server dedicated for backup (sync), but not everything has to go to the cloud. I look at this way, if I where to loose everything, what would I need to start back up again and what would be devastating, not annoying to me if I lost it. As you start to get much over a 100 gig, the upload time becomes an inhibitor especially if you have frequent changes to your data.

Ops, I meant to say, "...not backing up everything you have TO THE CLOUD..." and forgot to add the "to the cloud" part. Thanks for the clarification pcdoc.

This past week we were away on vacation and for the first few days I was able to log in to my WHS just fine. On the third day, and for the remainder of the vacation, I was not able to log in. All kinds of things went through my head, did we have a water leak that somehow fried all my servers? Did someone break in and steal everything? That last one really concerned me. Now my most critical files are backed up to the cloud, but if the thieves have all my drives, they have all my data, some of which are financial related I don't want others to have access to. So while I have a plan to back up my important files so they can be retrieved in case of a disaster, I don't have a plan to protect my data from someone who would steal the actual drives out of my house. Has anyone else given this any thought and if so, what do you do?

BTW, turns out that WHS had installed some update, rebooted and then had an issue which prevented it from restarting the remote access function. I hate the auto reboot feature/bug, and I really hate when I set it up that way. :blink:

I went to their website to see that it would cost me $1700 to back up 500 gigs per year! Am I missing something here, or why would anyone pay that much with less expensive options out there?

I don't even want to think about how long it would take to upload 500GB of data on a home cable or DSL connection...

I only back up the critical data. I have 8TB of storage and have redundancy for my music rips, DVD rips, etc, but I certainly don't put that up in the ether. I use Crashplan which has very reasonable rates. I have their 1 computer plan and that one computer in my WHS. Data files, records, photos, etc are backed up there, but not the huge glut of data.

Pre-paid, unlimited storage for 1 computer for 4 years for $140 (<$3 per month). I'm presently using around 50GB of space.

Jaz

More and more ISPs seem to be moving towards monthly caps on internet broadband anyway. Most people seem to "backup" their data, but comparatively few seem to have their stuff organized. To pcdoc's point, technology is just not there yet when it comes to backing-up everything to the cloud. I think that it is absolutely critical that we organize our data in a way that lets us easily identify which bits are "cloud-worthy".

Ops, I meant to say, "...not backing up everything you have TO THE CLOUD..." and forgot to add the "to the cloud" part. Thanks for the clarification pcdoc.

This past week we were away on vacation and for the first few days I was able to log in to my WHS just fine. On the third day, and for the remainder of the vacation, I was not able to log in. All kinds of things went through my head, did we have a water leak that somehow fried all my servers? Did someone break in and steal everything? That last one really concerned me. Now my most critical files are backed up to the cloud, but if the thieves have all my drives, they have all my data, some of which are financial related I don't want others to have access to. So while I have a plan to back up my important files so they can be retrieved in case of a disaster, I don't have a plan to protect my data from someone who would steal the actual drives out of my house. Has anyone else given this any thought and if so, what do you do?

I actually have thought about it.. And atleast the RC of WHS2011 seems to support the Bitlocker role. However, i'm not sure will it work with RAID arrays, or the incoming DE-replacement add-ins.