RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TechNet

fblittle

I have heard a lot about TechNet lately. I went to the web site to find out but couldn't find answers to some of my questions. For $199 starter it is a good deal. What I am afraid of is that after setting up a server my license will expire in a year when my subscription is ready to be renewed. The other thing is what is the intent or TechNet? I read one guy on the MS Connect web site say that it wasn't intended to be a all you can download smorgasborg for MS Software. He was arguing that it was only for use to test software and that use for a personal HomeServer didn't fit the bill.

I don't want to be ripping Microsoft off, but on the other hand I want a good deal on Microsoft Software that I can experement with and keep what I like. Also if I could pay $200.00 per year for MS software flat rate that would be good for me. I suspect some years MS would come out on the winning side and most others I would.

Please comment on this. I heard there are many TechNet subscribers on this web site and I would like to here what you have to say.

Guest no-control

Not sure why this is in the WHS builders forum, but...

The Technet subscription is intended for IT professionals, repair techs, programmers, & others associated with the industry. In the agreement it clearly this software is for non commercial use and for testing only. That being said, what actually constitutes "testing" is a pretty wide grey area. The purpose of the package from a Microsoft point of view is that they provide you with significant discount on the software in the hopes that you will recommend and deploy their software in business environments where they will make up for the loss. It also provides a knowledgeable base for testing software, just like the connect site. It also provides people like podcasters, bloggers, and other press the ability to try out and recommend software to the masses, marketing strategy. Its not really intended for an enthusiast or PC Joe to use as a software free for all. But they also don't really restrict who can buy the package so read into that what you want.

Now for some facts.

- Once the subscription runs out you lose access to technet. This means any unclaimed keys and/or software is no longer available to you.

- The keys are full retail keys, this means they do not expire once you obtain them. But Microsoft does know if the key is from normal retail channels or technet. This means you are bound to the technet EULA as well as the actual software EULA. So don't think you're going to sell or distribute any of these keys. They will deactivate any key associated with the account expired or not.

- Subs usually are eligible for a renewal discount each year. (~$150)

Worth it? That's up to you I guess. I don't advertise or promote Technet personally. As it's abuse has already affected how great this used to be. (used to get a lot more access and keys)

Is it worth it? I say without a doubt yes! Given the price of the software it does not take too many different packages to pay for subscriptions. Windows 7 is roughly $100, Office $150-400, and WHS $99-$149. You get my point. If it where not for technet, I would not have the opportunity to test and run things like Server 2008 R2 as well as the dozens of OS's and app on the site. look at the list and judge for yourself but for me it has been the best money I have spent in a while. My two cents.

Mike and Mike sum it up nicely. I know I have been on of the biggest supporters of TechNet on the show. I think it's a really good software investment, assuming you test at least one copy of something each year. I plan to own TechNet not only this year, but for many years to come!

> Not sure why this is in the WHS builders forum, but...

Sorry if this is not the correct forum. I searched for a better forum to put the question in, but decided that this one was the most appropriate.

I have heard alot about TechNet on the BYOB show and the HomeServerShow as well. I wanted some practical advice about it. Thanks for the Advice.

I went ahead and got a subscription. The best price I could find was on Amazon, but not by much. It was 184.99 with free shipping. CDW had it for 173.99 but their shipping was $19 for the cheapest shipping option, so Amazon was the really cheapest.

WHS 2011 will be my first download.

Edited by fblittle

Best subscription to date...I have used 2 copies of Windows 7 Ultimate / copy of Windows Home, 2 copies of Office 2010, WHS Version 1, Visio 2010, and downloaded keys that I can use in the fututre. Going on Newegg that is over $1,700 in software...nice savings :)

> Not sure why this is in the WHS builders forum, but...

Sorry if this is not the correct forum. I searched for a better forum to put the question in, but decided that this one was the most appropriate.

I have heard alot about TechNet on the BYOB show and the HomeServerShow as well. I wanted some practical advice about it. Thanks for the Advice.

I went ahead and got a subscription. The best price I could find was on Amazon, but not by much. It was 184.99 with free shipping. CDW had it for 173.99 but their shipping was $19 for the cheapest shipping option, so Amazon was the really cheapest.

WHS 2011 will be my first download.

Congrats, I am sure you will enjoy it. You almost paid for it with your download of WHS. Now you can go nuts and try a bunch of stuff... Remember if you end up buying a bunch of hardware to use with your software, we get credit... Good luck and let us know how you like WHS 2011 when you get it installed.