RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving Files to a New Box

walterwood44

For my WHS I have been using a Frankenbuild HP desktop. It has two drives, 1.5 TB drive 0 and 1 TB drive 1. I have about 800GB of free space. Duplication is turned on. This computer has been causing a few problems and I am going to retire it.

I have built a new box to put WHS on. I plan to use a new 1 TB drive for the OS and I would like to use the drives out of the other computer. My concern is getting my files into the new box. I am not concerned about saving any backups.

What is the best way to move the files from the old server to the new one? I also have many of my files backed up on other computers so I have a little room to move things around. I would prefer to avoid using my network to move these files as that is what I have been having a problem with. I am hoping there is a way to more the drives from the old server to the new one.

Thanks,

Walter

External usb 3tb drive may be the ticket - 2tb if you can squeeze it all on there. Thats what I would do.

Robocopy or RichCopy are the best tools for my money.....as in free.

Could use a few more details: Are you talking about copying across the network or after moving the drives to the new box?

If after moving drives, can't you simply use them as-is?

Thanks,

Walter

The only way to move the current drives to a new 2011 server would be to remove them from the storage pool on V1 so there would no data on them.

If you want to move the files, as opposed to the drives, then I concur with jmwills: use RoboCopy to move the files across your network. RoboCopy is an EXTREMELY robust file copier/mover. If you've been trying to drag the files from machine to machine across the network from inside Windows then I am not at all surprised you're having issues. In fact, I would have virtually guaranteed you would have problems moving a lot of data or very large files. Xcopy and Windows Explorer are really not designed for this kind of thing.

The only way to move the current drives to a new 2011 server would be to remove them from the storage pool on V1 so there would no data on them.

I should have mentioned this is a Ver. 1 only operation.

If you want to move the files, as opposed to the drives, then I concur with jmwills: use RoboCopy to move the files across your network. RoboCopy is an EXTREMELY robust file copier/mover.

I am trying to get everything over to the new computer. Since the drives will end up in this new box, moving the drives would be easier. I just want to make sure I know what I am doing before proceeding.

If you've been trying to drag the files from machine to machine across the network from inside Windows then I am not at all surprised you're having issues. In fact, I would have virtually guaranteed you would have problems moving a lot of data or very large files. Xcopy and Windows Explorer are really not designed for this kind of thing.

The problems I was having with the old box have nothing to do with moving the files. If the server was doing anything (backup, balancing, etc.) you could not access the files on it. I had discussed it in a much older post and suspect there is a hardware issue with the MB. I finally gave up trying to fix it and am moving to this new computer.

You cannot pull the drives from a V1 server and just plug them into a 2011 server, unless it was a backup drive that was not of the pool. And that's the issue, your drives are part of the drive pool so to undo that you have to remove the data from them.

Invest in a 160 gig drive for the OS so you can isolate the OS from the data. You can get the new server up and running and then start removing drives form the old installing them in the new box. You already have the 1TB so I would start there with data storage.

With duplication currently on and having 800 GB free, it sounds like you might just have enough room to copy those files over.

There is no way I would recommend doing this without an external drive without another copy of my data, but it could be done.

You could move the smaller 1TB drive out of your old WHS v1 server into the new box, don't add it to the pool. Just assign a drive letter to it if it does not automatically do this. Once that is complete you can start manually moving your files over from \de\shares directory on that drive to your new \\Server\share.

I did this recently playing around with iSCSI drives, but again all my data is backed up on external drives as well. I used robocopy to copy all the data.

Just an example command line that I used.

G:\DE\shares>for /f %a in ('dir /b') do robocopy %a \\TESTSERV2\%a /e /eta /r:1 /w:1 /zb

If you are worried about problems with the network, just take that out of the equation. Connect a straight network cable between the two systems (static IP on both) and start transferring files. You might have to use a crossover cable if your Nics do not support the auto sensing. I believe all Gig-E NICs do, but I'm probably wrong on that.

Then its just drag and drop or robocopy \\serv1\share1 \\serv2\share1 /e

I still recommend having another backup. Good luck.

You cannot pull the drives from a V1 server and just plug them into a 2011 server...

This is all Ver. 1. NO 2011

Invest in a 160 gig drive for the OS so you can isolate the OS from the data. You can get the new server up and running and then start removing drives form the old installing them in the new box. You already have the 1TB so I would start there with data storage.

Great idea on the 160 GB drive. I am doing that now.

I hear it said that I can more my Ver. 1 drives to another Ver. 1 box but HOW is this done? (I know how to physically move them.) Specifically what step do I follow to move them and set them up in the new box?

Thanks

Walter