RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to migrate to new system drive

Mastiha

Hi Guys,

I've been playing around with 2011 for a few days now.

I'm currently running on a temporary 2TB drive for the OS as I'm waitng for my Icy Dock to arrive which I will use 2 x 500GB mirrored drives with.

What's the best way to migrate from the 2tb drive to the Icy Dock (500GB) as I want to avoid a re-install?

You would have to clone/image the current drive and then re-image the new drive array with that image. Personally, I'd start fresh.

You can try, but I'm not sure the changes in drives would be recognized unless you partitioned it match the configuration of the old setup. Basically, you are dealing with a VHD image (the same created by Windows 7) and I've restored from that. The key is you will have to backup to an external device and also there was a comment somewhere about using the native Windows Backup tool for data backup breaking the console, but this is the system drive and not data.

Again, it takes 30 minutes to install the OS and would take about half that time to restore......so, is a clean install worth it? To me it is.

Guest no-control

Lets not half ass a server. Do a clean install.

If your super lazy back up the system state and restore that after a clean install.

Hi Guys,

I've been playing around with 2011 for a few days now.

I'm currently running on a temporary 2TB drive for the OS as I'm waitng for my Icy Dock to arrive which I will use 2 x 500GB mirrored drives with.

What's the best way to migrate from the 2tb drive to the Icy Dock (500GB) as I want to avoid a re-install?

Personally I would do a fresh install. It took me less than 2 hours to reload the OS, repoint to roughly 20 shares, setup user, configure backups etc, etc,. That OS will be thre for awhile so I would not take any chances.

Lets not half ass a server. Do a clean install.

If your super lazy back up the system state and restore that after a clean install.

It's not a question of being lazy or being half assed.

I'm fine to install the OS again but will the shares be maitained, etc? It was with WHS v1 so I was hoping there would be some type of server recovery just out of interest especially now that it claims that it also backups the OS drive. I assumed it would similar to running a server recovery like with WHS v1.

I did notice there was an option under Start/All Programs/Maintenance/Create a System Repair Disk.