RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ready to throw my Wife's PC out the window

geek-accountant

Since this is my last day of vacation, I decided to get a few network things done (plus wrap up Part 2 of my Super Router article). One of the things I wanted to do was replace my wife's 300gig drive with a RAID 0 setup using two 500gig drives. Before I do that, I wanted to replace her Intel 10/100 NIC with an Intel Pro/1000 NIC and back her machine up to my newly installed SBS-E machine. This should be EXTREMELY simple. Just pull out the old card, insert the new one and plug in the cable. Well, 3 hours later and I still can't get the network card to work. I have a bunch of these so I have tried 3 different ones. MB is using the latest firmware and the Win7 machine has no trouble seeing the NIC and loading the drivers. However, it can never make a connection.

When the machine is turned off and I plug the network cable into the NIC, the lights turn solid green. No blinking. Plug the cable into the onboad NIC or the 10/100 NIC and they blink fine. Turn on the PC and the lights blink a bit then both of them go off for a couple of seconds and then back on, blink and then back off. I have tried with the onboard disabled in BIOS, removed the the 10/100 NIC, unplugged the cable at the main switch and tried both PCI slots. None of it makes any difference. At this point, I am going to remove the MSI motherboard in the machine and go buy a new Gigabyte one and see if that solves the problem. Things like this drive me nuts, a simple install of a NIC card taking hours!!

Before I head off and get a new MB, anyone have any ideas or obvious things I might have over looked?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• jmwills

• geek-accountant

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, did that already and no luck. Also, connecting her machine to the SBS-E server had her join the domain, which hosed a lot of her settings. Fortunately I was able to get out of that before she saw it and started to panic. For now, SBS-E is going to be shut down and I am back to trying to get WHS2011 to install.

For sure test it with ubuntu's live cd 1st before you go crazy. Also change the cable!!!! to test - blow out the nick connector - try another port on your router.

Oh I just forgot - I have this problem with an Asus board - I went into the bios loaded optimized defaults - saved - rebooted back into the bios - turned off all non essential built in features to free up IRQs - Reinstall the nic - boot her up to windows and pray.

Card works in another Windows 7 machine (all of my home desktops are Win7 64bit). I while back, I bought 12 of these Intel pro/1000 NIC's, so i have a few still not being used. I tried 3 of them in my wife's PC, all with then same result. In addition, all of them work in my son's PC. A clue, at least I think it might be, is how the card reacts with the PC is turned off. Normally when I plug a cable into a NIC, the lights start blinking. This tells me it has made a connection to the switch. In this case, the lights come one but stay lit and don't blink.

I would hate to run another cable, as this one goes from the basement, up to the attic (pretty creative way, I might add) and then drops into the room. I think I will move one of my son's PC's into that room and test if it can make a connection using that same cable. If it can, then it is not the cable.

All PC's go to a 24port gig switch, and I have tried moving this connection to another port with no luck.

BTW, WHS2011 is failing again to load as a VM in Hyper-V.

Have not tried yet. Since I had the PC tied up a good part of the day, I stopped so my wife could get on it for a bit. Once she is done, I will give it a try. However, i don't have much hope since I think the issue is even before the OS is loaded.

Yes, that's kinda what I was getting at. If you can get on the Internet that'd narrow it down for you.

You think you have problems? This is what I came home to today. Yikes! :unsure: Had to power off and pull the plug for 10 seconds to get it to boot up. This is my desktop PC with a new Icy Dock 2-in-1 2.5" - 3.5" enclosure for the OS drive. This is the same one that Dave reviewed. I could blame in on the enclosure, but I'm beginning to think my mobo is not as stable as I expected it to be. This is a mobo I bought about 4 months ago, and I've had little annoyances like this a few too many times now. I just may go back to my 680i if this kind of stuff keeps occurring.

IMG_0053.JPG

Dang, it has been a frustrating day for both of us. I went and played some Black Ops to relief some stress and I stuck which just added more stress! :angry: