RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Proper way to test new HDD

CablDeViL

I have a lot of 5 hard drives that was just delivered from Tiger. Because of an ordering error (cough cough) I purchased 5 Seagate LP 2tb drives instead of WD. When I get a new HDD I always you Hitachi's DFT (drive fitness test) app or Seatools from Seagate.

Is there any other tests apps I should look at to test new hard drives?

Thank you in advance.

Bill

I have a lot of 5 hard drives that was just delivered from Tiger. Because of an ordering error (cough cough) I purchased 5 Seagate LP 2tb drives instead of WD. When I get a new HDD I always you Hitachi's DFT (drive fitness test) app or Seatools from Seagate.

Is there any other tests apps I should look at to test new hard drives?

Thank you in advance.

Bill

I SpinRite every drive, new or old, on level 4 before I put it into production,

I SpinRite every drive, new or old, on level 4 before I put it into production,

I guess if I'm gonna be buying 9 new drives it would be smart to test them prior to putting them into a new server. Question is...should I buy them all at the same time or stager buying them so they come from different lots?

if your doing raid I would suggest purchasing all at the same time so you know they are all the same firmware revs and hardware revs.

That is the other thing I am worried about with tese seagates they have change to china production and have a firmware glitch from what I read. If they are an older lot I have to upgrade the firmware on each of them =(

if your doing raid I would suggest purchasing all at the same time so you know they are all the same firmware revs and hardware revs.

That is the other thing I am worried about with tese seagates they have change to china production and have a firmware glitch from what I read. If they are an older lot I have to upgrade the firmware on each of them =(

I am putting 5 drives in a Raid5 on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680 for video rips and another 2 for Music, Photos, documents with a Raid1 via the motherboard. All drives are going to be the same WD 2Tb Green drives.

Tonight I am going to install my five drives in raid 5 on my HP RR 2680 also =) Cant wait to open my sas cables. This will also be used for my BR rips. I will use raid 1 for my other drives just like you. I will let you know how it goes tonight.

One pain in the butt, I have a temp case with the new hardware then I need to transfer all the data from V1 to v2. Then i need to pull the HW out of that case and into the big server case that v1 is in now. Its such a nice case I hate to put it in the scrap heap since its only 1 year old.

Not sure if I will move all of it via the network or my 2 3tb ubs drives that I use to back up folders now on V1.

Any thoughts on the move to v2?

Tonight I am going to install my five drives in raid 5 on my HP RR 2680 also =) Cant wait to open my sas cables. This will also be used for my BR rips. I will use raid 1 for my other drives just like you. I will let you know how it goes tonight.

One pain in the butt, I have a temp case with the new hardware then I need to transfer all the data from V1 to v2. Then i need to pull the HW out of that case and into the big server case that v1 is in now. Its such a nice case I hate to put it in the scrap heap since its only 1 year old.

Not sure if I will move all of it via the network or my 2 3tb ubs drives that I use to back up folders now on V1.

Any thoughts on the move to v2?

Transferring the data is the biggest pain. I am going to replace all of my hardware and get a bigger case. When I originally built my WHS V1 I didn't consider that I was going to rip all my DVD and now BR. Then I dound MyMovies and AnyDVD and I have no room left. I'm gonna build with some headroom.

I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks and will complete my build then. Can't wait to hear how you build goes.

Tim

Transferring the data is the biggest pain. I am going to replace all of my hardware and get a bigger case. When I originally built my WHS V1 I didn't consider that I was going to rip all my DVD and now BR. Then I dound MyMovies and AnyDVD and I have no room left. I'm gonna build with some headroom.

I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks and will complete my build then. Can't wait to hear how you build goes.

Tim

I was testing MM on v1 and was a little sketchy with it installing sql and adding overhead but with my V2 box having all this extra horsepower I am not to worried about it. As always I will take pictures - the question is will I actually post them lol

Just an update the Seagate hdds where delivered but testing two of them I just cant trust them. I am sending them back and I just put an order in for 5 WD EARS drives. The Question is do I kill the park feature or not. Hmmm