RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Citezein

How many CPU sockets will WHS 2011 recognize?

Citezein

I'm beginning to believe that WHS 2011 is limited to a single CPU (still allowing multiple cores though). Does someone know if this is the case? In my ESXi VM, Task Manager only shows one CPU, yet I have two assigned. In another 2008 R2 VM, it sees both.

ikon

I'm beginning to believe that WHS 2011 is limited to a single CPU (still allowing multiple cores though). Does someone know if this is the case? In my ESXi VM, Task Manager only shows one CPU, yet I have two assigned. In another 2008 R2 VM, it sees both.

Seems reasonable — it is a home server product after all.

CablDeViL

interesting so you have a box with 2 cpus for a total of 8 cores and your VM 2011 will only see one cpu but 4 cores even though you assigned it both cpus. Is that correct?

It would make sense in my simple mind also that this function would be removed from WHS2011.

jmwills

Where are you seeing this information displayed displayed for ESXi? Through vSphere? Within the vSphere interface you will see the number of processors allocated. My test box is a PowerEdge 1950 with 2 dual core Xeon processors and WHS 2011 sees all four with activity on all four CPU's. I will say that numbers 3 & 4 stay parked most of the time however.

timekills

Per MS Connect:

Posted by Microsoft on 9/3/2010 at 11:02 AM

A business decision was made and Vail will only support 1 processor, with up to 4 cores, and only up to 8GB of RAM. This is expected.

Thanks,

Microsoft

Presumably that was not changed with the change from "Vail" to WHS2011. SBS does support two physical processors however.

diehard

WHS2011 will support 1 CPU while SBS2011-E will support 2.

Citezein

Here's the issue I ran into using ESXi. I have a quad-core i5-2400 server and had assigned two cores to WHS 2011. Looking in Device Manager, I saw the two cores under Processors. However, looking in Task Manager, I only saw one core. After doing some research, ESXi, by default, assigns virtual CPUs as independent sockets and WHS was ignoring the second "socket."

This is resolved by adding a setting called cpuid.coresPerSocket in ESXi. I set this to two and then WHS saw both cores as being on the same physical CPU. There's an instruction page with details here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010184

ikon

Here's the issue I ran into using ESXi. I have a quad-core i5-2400 server and had assigned two cores to WHS 2011. Looking in Device Manager, I saw the two cores under Processors. However, looking in Task Manager, I only saw one core. After doing some research, ESXi, by default, assigns virtual CPUs as independent sockets and WHS was ignoring the second "socket."

This is resolved by adding a setting called cpuid.coresPerSocket in ESXi. I set this to two and then WHS saw both cores as being on the same physical CPU. There's an instruction page with details here: http://kb.vmware.com...ernalId=1010184

hehe, what happens if you set it to 4 or 8 or 16.

jmwills

Nice find.... !!!!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The memory limit of 12 GB is strange, and SUCKS.