RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive Question - New 2011 Build

JediTim

I am planning on my WHS Build and will probably get mostly new hardware for the build...I will probably keep my current WHS V1 as a secondary backup of all the data until I am certain there are no issues with the WHS 2011 build.

My plan...

• OS on 2 WD Scorpio Black drives (500GB) in an Icy Dock RAID1 configuration
  • Music / Photos / Documents / Backups on 2 WD 2TB Green Drives in a software (motherboard) RAID1 configuration
  • Video / DVD Rips - 5 WD 2TB Green Drives with a HighPoint Rocket RAID card in RAID5

My question centers around the second set. Since I am planning on getting all new drives would I benefit from using 2 WD Black drives instead of Green drives. I do have a lot of photos on the server that I work with on Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop...would having Black drives increase the transfer speed between the WHS and the computer I edit with? The Black drives should also have a better life cycle versus the Green drives.

Thanks for your input...I plan on getting all my equipment soon and am still weighing all of my options.

Tim

I am planning on my WHS Build and will probably get mostly new hardware for the build...I will probably keep my current WHS V1 as a secondary backup of all the data until I am certain there are no issues with the WHS 2011 build.

My plan...

• OS on 2 WD Scorpio Black drives (500GB) in an Icy Dock RAID1 configuration
  • Music / Photos / Documents / Backups on 2 WD 2TB Green Drives in a software (motherboard) RAID1 configuration
  • Video / DVD Rips - 5 WD 2TB Green Drives with a HighPoint Rocket RAID card in RAID5

My question centers around the second set. Since I am planning on getting all new drives would I benefit from using 2 WD Black drives instead of Green drives. I do have a lot of photos on the server that I work with on Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop...would having Black drives increase the transfer speed between the WHS and the computer I edit with? The Black drives should also have a better life cycle versus the Green drives.

Thanks for your input...I plan on getting all my equipment soon and am still weighing all of my options.

Tim

THe blacks are diffenent faster but it probably will not impact much as you are still limited my Network performance. If you do not mind more noise, heat, and more power consumtion than go for blacks, if you do, then gro green I do not think you will be unhappy.

THe blacks are diffenent faster but it probably will not impact much as you are still limited my Network performance. If you do not mind more noise, heat, and more power consumtion than go for blacks, if you do, then gro green I do not think you will be unhappy.

Thanks Mike...I had planned on going with the Green drives but figured I should check my options before I build.

One other thought...I am going to purchase 7 2TB Green drives. Should I stagger buying them to avoind getting the same lot of drives or should I just purchase all the drives together. I would get them through Newegg.

Tim

I was just able to copy a large video file to a 2TB WD Green drive inside of a VM at 110 MBytes/second. If that's enough speed for you, then you don't need the Blacks.

I was just able to copy a large video file to a 2TB WD Green drive inside of a VM at 110 MBytes/second. If that's enough speed for you, then you don't need the Blacks.

That is soooooo slow! ;)

Actually, that is hard to believe. You word it as if it is a single drive and not in a Raid array? Also, is the drive you copying from inside the same hardware?

why are you using raid on the OS? I thought whs2011 can back up any drive to another, hence backup the OS from drive 1 to drive 2.

Guest no-control

Some people want to maintain uptime. So if the system drive fails the secondary drive keeps the server running until you get another one.