RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Onboard or dedicated graphics for HTPC?

Captain Reynolds

I have a Core i3 540 / 4GB DDR3 / 1TB / H55 HTPC build I did recently which is performing quite well. The graphics seem to work quite well, but I am wondering what benefit, if any, there is to installing a dedicated graphics card? I picked up a 2nd hand 1GB 5770 ATI card from ebay for under $100. Is the extra power draw worthwhile? My other issue is that I have two dual TV tuners in PCI slots, which are right beside the PCI-E slot and I don't think the 5770 will fit. What are most people using for HTPC graphics?? Cheers...

I have a Core i3 540 / 4GB DDR3 / 1TB / H55 HTPC build I did recently which is performing quite well. The graphics seem to work quite well, but I am wondering what benefit, if any, there is to installing a dedicated graphics card? I picked up a 2nd hand 1GB 5770 ATI card from ebay for under $100. Is the extra power draw worthwhile? My other issue is that I have two dual TV tuners in PCI slots, which are right beside the PCI-E slot and I don't think the 5770 will fit. What are most people using for HTPC graphics?? Cheers...

For an HTPC, abosolutely nothing. The Grapics chip in the Cire I series ia on the best standard and blu-ray video play back. Unless you are gamin, don't bother.

I have the mini Gigabyte with onboard 13 graphics. Works great do worry about it save your 100 for a SSD.

For an HTPC, abosolutely nothing. The Grapics chip in the Cire I series ia on the best standard and blu-ray video play back. Unless you are gamin, don't bother.

I have the mini Gigabyte with onboard 13 graphics. Works great do worry about it save your 100 for a SSD.

Question: are you both assuming that the HTPC is NOT doing any transcoding? What are your feelings about where transcoding should be done? on a regular PC? on a WHS? on a HTPC? of on another type of box altogether?

Guest no-control

Please stop using your iPAD for answering forum questions....blink.gif

Just to clarify, I do have MakeMKV installed on the HTPC but do most of my dvd rips from my main rig. The main use of this PC is playing the files from my WHS and recording TV. Reading the comments above, I am now curious to know how much a dedicated vga card would be involved in recording TV? Is this mainly CPU hungry? Between my shows (mainly sport!) and the wife and kids, it is not uncommon for this rig to be recording three titles at once, mostly HD content that seems to take up about 1GB per hour...

Please stop using your iPAD for answering forum questions....blink.gif

Yeh, got to stop that. Pretty funny though. I blame the pilot not the plane...

Sorry guys...

Just to clarify, I do have MakeMKV installed on the HTPC but do most of my dvd rips from my main rig. The main use of this PC is playing the files from my WHS and recording TV. Reading the comments above, I am now curious to know how much a dedicated vga card would be involved in recording TV? Is this mainly CPU hungry? Between my shows (mainly sport!) and the wife and kids, it is not uncommon for this rig to be recording three titles at once, mostly HD content that seems to take up about 1GB per hour...

A dedicated graphics card will not not anything for what you are doing assuming you are using something like the Core Ix as other than the new Sandy Bridge, is one of the best GPU's for video playback. Recording is mainly CPU/disk I/O. There are no HTPC use cases that I can think of where a dedicated graphics card will be of benefit over a core Ix either first or second gen.

Do all trans coding on the most bad ass machine you have. Who wants to wait forever.

I want my WHS to do my transcoding too