RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 - VM in Hyper-V

geek-accountant

Got it installed. Thanks again for the tip burix!

I wonder if that has anything to do with the turning off IPV6 tip that was posted in another thread by tinkererguy. He is also using it as a virtual guest although not Hyper-V as the host. His problem was more related to connecting a PC to WHS2011 but I wonder if there is any relation.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2145-some-initial-observations-based-on-experiences-with-the-rtm-code/

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

• timekills

Not sure. The first thing I did when I got this was start looking for the log. I found one in programdata\microsoft\window server\logs\SetupMon.log

The last line in the log stated 'The url to the server is: http://localhost:65510/Setup/Language.aspx waiting for doc loaded to show page'

I immediately loaded IE and tried going to this page with no luck. I then tried using the servers's ip in place of localhost and something loaded in IE.

Renewing IP was just a random thought and for some reason after I did it I noticed the installation proceed in the background. I've done 5 or 6 installs in Hyper-v and I just do this every time now.

OK, I have had to kill the WHS2011 install again. I think I might re-download the ISO to make sure the issue isn't there. SBS-E is up and running great so far.

eagle63, I like Hyper-V, but still like Xenserver better. The main thing I like about Hyper-V is having the full OS and the nice interface it provides. Also, now with SP1, the dynamic memory is nice. Although I was disappointed in how they did it and the limited benefit I have seen. Things I don't like is how they do the snap shots, backups and exporting of the VM. Also, wish they had a way to bind all the NIC's into 1 and then give that NIC to all the VM's and let Hyper-V balance the load across the the physical NIC's.

Right now, I have only been running Windows based VM's since I have not had much luck getting anything else to run dependably and how easy it is to get them to run in Xenserver. For your Ubuntu install, do you remote desktop into the VM? If so, how do you have that setup?

How do you turn on the dynamic memory? I don't see it anywhere.

Guest no-control

It's in the settings menu for the vm under memory. If you don't see it then SP1 isn't installed.

5396619044_a85150e0bc.jpg

Edited by no-control

no-control. I have dynamic memory working for my Windows 7 VM's and my WHS v1, but I can't get it to work with my WHS2011 of SBS-E VM. Have you been able to get it working with either of these?

It's in the settings menu for the vm under memory. If you don't see it then SP1 isn't installed.

5396619044_a85150e0bc.jpg

Crap, I can't believe I missed that. How lame. Thanks for the response.

I am new atthis so does anyone have any suggestions for the settings? I am running S2008R2 with SP1. I have 3 VM's right now: WHS2011, WHS2011 with Add-Ins, and W7 for MC.

I have not been able to get dynamic memory to work with my WHS2011 VM's or the SBS-E VM, so if you get it working let me know you trick. Also, I think only Windows 7 Ultimate VM's (out of the Windows 7 family) can use dynamic memory.

I set it up for all three VM's last night. I selected 2048 for startup and maxed at 4096 for now. Everything saved fine and is working.

What error are you seeing or how do you know it isn't working?

I don't get an error, well maybe I should review the event logs to be sure. Anyway, below is a screen grab of my VM's running. This shot shows the Windows 7 and WHS v1 running just fine with dynamic memory, while the WHS2011 is not using it. I set it up to start with 2gig and to grow to as much as 4gig.

hyper-v-VMs.jpg