RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 - VM in Hyper-V

geek-accountant

Has anyone else installed the RTM version of WHS2011 as a VM in Hyper-V? Not sure if this is just related to something going on with my system, but I am on hour 6 of installing the new RTM WHS2011. The RC installed fine as well as WHS v1 and SBS-E RC. It has been sitting at the "Please wait while the installation continues" screen for almost 2 hours now. I think I will start a SBS-E install and see if it can get done before WHS2011 is completed.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

• timekills

• eagle63

I got SBS-E up and running. Setup the server backup to backup to my unRAID server once a day. Now just need to get WHS2011 to install.

I got SBS-E up and running. Setup the server backup to backup to my unRAID server once a day. Now just need to get WHS2011 to install.

I've been meaning to ask you how you like Hyper-V now that you've been playing with it for a few months? I know you came from xenserver which you liked. Have you had any luck with linux distros on hyper-v? I've got Ubuntu running and plan on putting suse enterprise on it to try that out. (suse enterprise and RHEL are the only linux distros that are officially supported by microsoft I believe)

OK, I have had to kill the WHS2011 install again. I think I might re-download the ISO to make sure the issue isn't there. SBS-E is up and running great so far.

eagle63, I like Hyper-V, but still like Xenserver better. The main thing I like about Hyper-V is having the full OS and the nice interface it provides. Also, now with SP1, the dynamic memory is nice. Although I was disappointed in how they did it and the limited benefit I have seen. Things I don't like is how they do the snap shots, backups and exporting of the VM. Also, wish they had a way to bind all the NIC's into 1 and then give that NIC to all the VM's and let Hyper-V balance the load across the the physical NIC's.

Right now, I have only been running Windows based VM's since I have not had much luck getting anything else to run dependably and how easy it is to get them to run in Xenserver. For your Ubuntu install, do you remote desktop into the VM? If so, how do you have that setup?

Right now, I have only been running Windows based VM's since I have not had much luck getting anything else to run dependably and how easy it is to get them to run in Xenserver. For your Ubuntu install, do you remote desktop into the VM? If so, how do you have that setup?

I use a product called NoMachine (NX Client/NX Server)to connect to my Ubuntu vm. I've been using that product for a while and it works pretty well. (I'm using the free version) However, I've found that even though it's definitely faster than VNC, it's still not as fast/responsive as RDP. I've been playing with windows server backup and that has been what has prompted me to try an "officially supported" linux distro. The reason is because I believe only supported distros can utilize the vss writer to have a good, accurate backup state captured.

I probably should have given xenserver a try back when I started virtualizing stuff. I ruled out vmware only because I wasn't running hardware that supported esxi, and I had heard good things about WHS running as a guest on hyper-v so I decided to jump on that train. Now that I've got everything running smoothly, however, I'm hesitant to try anything else. ;)

Edited by eagle63

Has anyone else installed the RTM version of WHS2011 as a VM in Hyper-V? Not sure if this is just related to something going on with my system, but I am on hour 6 of installing the new RTM WHS2011. The RC installed fine as well as WHS v1 and SBS-E RC. It has been sitting at the "Please wait while the installation continues" screen for almost 2 hours now. I think I will start a SBS-E install and see if it can get done before WHS2011 is completed.

Mine did this too in Hyper-v multiple times during the install process. To get around it, I did ctrl+alt+del, went into task manager. File -> New Task -> CMD. ipconfig /renew

The Server had a valid IP, but doing this actually picked up a different ip and the installation continued. Seems like I had to do this at least twice during the install process. Good luck.