RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Some initial observations (based on experiences with the RTM code)

tinkererguy

I noticed that:

1) IPV6:

If you leave IPV6 enabled (as Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 x64 systems do by default, including WHS2011), you may be able to find the WHS2011 when installing the connector, but you may get an error when it is nearly done with the install of the connector (as I noticed when using "Host Network" private and fast network of the VMware Player and/or Workstation, making for very quick backups/restores for testing). Simply turning off the IPV6 stack's checkbox under the network adapter's properties, on both Win 7 and WHS2011, did the trick.

2) SP1:

SP1 is already slip streamed right into the install ISO file, nice! See screenshots here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2001-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-service-pack-1/

3) Cloning, and handling of the connector software:

After some trial and error with the RTM version, I've noticed the steps outlined originally here still work:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1791-vmware-workstation-testing-of-windows-home-server-2011-release-candidate-works-with-same-instructions-as-it-did-with-vail/page__p__16866__fromsearch__1#entry16866

If you don't follow these steps exactly, you can recover, as long as your computer name is changed after the clone, then uninstall the connector, reboot, then reinistall the connector. Otherwise, be prepared to get some strange errors and only one computer listed on the Dashboard, "Computers and Backup" tab.

4) Speed (of connector install):

Takes a long time to install the connector compared to WHS v1, no doubt. There's a lot of baggage with the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4" stuff that it installs for you (if needed), so a fresh Windows 7 build that never had .NET will take extra long for installing the connector.

I may be able to post some relevant screenshots here, soon.

I noticed that:

1) IPV6:

If you leave IPV6 enabled (as Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 x64 systems do by default, including WHS2011), you may be able to find the WHS2011 when installing the connector, but you may get an error when it is nearly done with the install of the connector (as I noticed when using "Host Network" private and fast network of the VMware Player and/or Workstation, making for very quick backups/restores for testing). Simply turning off the IPV6 stack's checkbox under the network adapter's properties, on both Win 7 and WHS2011, did the trick.

*snip*

I'd suggest re-enabling IPV6 after install if only because the Homegroup function requires it. Thanks for the tip, though!

I'd suggest re-enabling IPV6 after install if only because the Homegroup function requires it. Thanks for the tip, though!

Good point!

I've now added 2 relevant screenshots below, curious if others have noticed this issue as well:

Clipboard08.jpg

Clipboard09.jpg