RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
spiderzmobile

EX485 won't communicate w/outside world?

spiderzmobile

Hello all,

I have an EX485, OEM 750 GB & 1TB, probably less than 1TB on both drives, (enough free space).

I'm new on this site, having a problem w/ my server getting out to the internet. when I boot my computer it the server Icon in the tray sends up flags for attention. If I open the Server page it bitches about not being able to update the add-ins!

It backs-up the 2 Win7 systems I currently have connected to it, (also, have 2 Macs, but I've been lazy)

I can remote into it just fine, but if I try to go to google.com or microsoft.com it flips me the bird?

I can ping the DNS; but nothing past that; (on Win7) I can see the server as a network location in "My Computer" and save files just fine.

I tried rebooting to no avail.

I noticed in the forum here someone suggested running ChkDsk so I started that, hopefully it doesn't take all week.

Any other reccomendations are welcome.

Thanks,

Spidey

jmwills

Can the clients get to the outside world? If so, I would then look at the adapter settings for the server and remove any hardcoded entries such as a static IP address.

But whatever you do, only do one thing at a time and document what you do.

ikon

I can ping the DNS; but nothing past that; (on Win7) I can see the server as a network location in "My Computer" and save files just fine.

Can the clients get to the outside world?

apparently not. :)

My question is this. Is the DNS server you have in your Win7 computer on your network or is it out on the internet? Does the DNS IP start with 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x?

jmwills

DNS is coming from your ISP, not the WHS. Have you hardcoded any enties into the network card properties.

Run these two commands and post back.

ipconfig /flushdns

then

ipconfig /all run the second one for all machines and post the results

the 192.169.x.x are your internal NAT addresses from your router

the 10.x.x.x and 172.x.x.x could both be external IP's my guess is one of the clients is a wireless laptop?