RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unable to connect to SBS 2011 Essentials

IvanV

I could use a little help here.

I have Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (formerly "Aurora") up and running on brand new and robust hardware. No problems there.

However, when I try to install a client Windows 7 PC, using the new client connector software, I get the following error message:

"This computer is already connected to another Windows server"

"This computer is already connected to another server. Before connecting this computer to the server, you must first remove the computer from the current server."

The client PC in question has been connected to a WHS v1 server in the past. However, I have carefully uninstalled the old connector and the HP Data Vault software, and still I cannot install the new connector. I had the same problem with both the "Aurora" betas, but expected the problem to have been fixed in the RTM version. It's a good bet that remnants of the old connector still reside on the client machine, and that the registry still holds some no-longer-current information.

Any idea where the installer gets the erroneous information that the PC is still connected to the previous server, and even better, how to get rid of it it?

Ideas and solutions are welcome.

Guest no-control

That is odd I simply uninstalled WHS connector from the client then installed the new connector via the web UNC path. no issues here. Might want to use ccleaner or something. Sorry I don't know the reg key that needs to modified or fixed.

That is odd I simply uninstalled WHS connector from the client then installed the new connector via the web UNC path. no issues here. Might want to use ccleaner or something. Sorry I don't know the reg key that needs to modified or fixed.

CCleaner (excellent product) was tried a long time ago and again yesterday, and made no difference.

Just reinstalled the old WHS v1 connector and everything went well. The old server even offered to start a fresh client backup right away. I then removed the PC from the WHS v1 backup listing, uninstalled the connector and re-tried running the new SBS 2011 Essentials connector. Same negative results. I'm baffled.

Try renaming the client and see what happens. At least that will change the SID and could break the association between the client and the old connector software.

Try renaming the client and see what happens. At least that will change the SID and could break the association between the client and the old connector software.

Renaming the clients (I had two PCs giving me this kind of trouble) plus No-Control's suggestion to disable IPv6 did the trick. Many thanks to both of you.

These oddities, plus a few others found during the first 24 hours of playing with the release software, give me the distinct impression that this product should have been "baked" a little while longer. It'll be a while before I trust SBS 2011 Essentials with my backups and personal files.

These oddities, plus a few others found during the first 24 hours of playing with the release software, give me the distinct impression that this product should have been "baked" a little while longer. It'll be a while before I trust SBS 2011 Essentials with my backups and personal files.

I am starting to get the same feeling. I may end up delaying my build until this summer.

Try deleting all the certificates from the old WHS server that are on the client and see if that helps.

Guest no-control

Try deleting all the certificates from the old WHS server that are on the client and see if that helps.

hey good call that could cause an issue as well.