RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Connector Software and Auto Logon

texasPI

Hi guys, I just got my WHS 2011 up and running today and I've got a minor issue with the connector software. I installed it on my HTPC which I had set-up to auto logon but in the process of installing the WHS 2011 connector software I got a message telling me to disable auto logon in order to install the connector software. Is there a work around so I can keep auto logon enabled on my HTPC and still install connector?

Hi guys, I just got my WHS 2011 up and running today and I've got a minor issue with the connector software. I installed it on my HTPC which I had set-up to auto logon but in the process of installing the WHS 2011 connector software I got a message telling me to disable auto logon in order to install the connector software. Is there a work around so I can keep auto logon enabled on my HTPC and still install connector?

Yep, ITTOG is absolutely correct. Worked on all my PC's

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of this. I'm a little bleary-eyed from swapping components, re-routing cables etc. so that may have had something to do with it. B) What I did was a little different but just as effective. I just removed the password from the profile and my HTPC boots right into the desktop. Thanks again.

For anyone else having this issue or looking to use a password and auto logon

click start

type netplwiz

uncheck "users must enter user name and password to use this computer"

Click ok

Re-enter your authentication credentials one last time

Now your system will auto magically log on using the credentials you provided.

• 3 months later...

Yep, ITTOG is absolutely correct. Worked on all my PC's

So, OK, ITTOG is 'absolutely correct' to use as a successful solution to the autologin problem. Scouring Google for this 'solution' will be unsuccessful. The acronym ITTOG apparently refers to some contributor to this forum and not a method for getting autologon access to WHS 2011 from a client. For any casual observer, ITTOG is an abbreviated shortcut for "Im The Type Of Guy" and not a method for autologin as may be inferred by 'ITTOG is absolutely correct" above.

So, OK, ITTOG is 'absolutely correct' to use as a successful solution to the autologin problem. Scouring Google for this 'solution' will be unsuccessful. The acronym ITTOG apparently refers to some contributor to this forum and not a method for getting autologon access to WHS 2011 from a client. For any casual observer, ITTOG is an abbreviated shortcut for "Im The Type Of Guy" and not a method for autologin as may be inferred by 'ITTOG is absolutely correct" above.

Err, yes, and yes. PCDoc was referring to the post directly above his from "I'mTheTypeOfGuy." To wit: turn of auto-logon, install the WHS 2011 connector, and turn auto-logon back on.

P.S. you can also type "control userpasswords2" from the Run command (or use the network control panel wizard as explained by N-C. That's no-control for the rest of the Googlers. :) )

Was directed to this thread from the thread at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2735-the-computer-cannot-be-connected-to-the-server-with-auto-log-on-turned-on/page__pid__26464#entry26464. Reading this thread I found the post below. Had to laugh at that one. :D