RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to change workgroup name in RTM?

Mastiha

Does anyone know how to change the workgroup name in the RTM?

The change button is greyed out for me.

Guest no-control

Reinstall WHS2011.

Since the server on install is setup with AD certificate services running by default. So you are not allowed to change it once its set. You could remove the role then change the name then reinstall the role, but that is a lot of restarts. IMO it would be easier to just to change the clients to use WORKGROUP instead. next easiest would be a reinstall and using the proper workgroup name.

Because I have about 15 odd devices currently setup as MSHOME and it would have been easier to change one workgroup instead of 15.

This comes from a post in a forum on the Microsoft site:

"When the setup gets to the part where you are asked to name it, simply hit SHIFT-F10

you'll get a command prompt.

Type "control system" and press enter

use the system control panel that pops up to change the workgroup name but leave the server name and everything else alone.

close the window, don't reboot the system. Continue with the setup, and once it's all going you'll have that workgroup name and the certificates in certificate services will be named properly too so you don't have to re-build that junk after the fact, which is possible as well but a real PITA."

WHS uses a server role which doesn't permit the server name or workgroup to be changed post-installation. However, the only thing you lose is having the server appear in network neighborhood. You can still access it by name.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

However, the only thing you lose is having the server appear in network neighborhood. You can still access it by name.

For me, that's an epic fail. I won't use it if it can't be found in network neighborhood. That said, thank you very much for the tip; HSS forums to the rescue, again :)

"When the setup gets to the part where you are asked to name it, simply hit SHIFT-F10

you'll get a command prompt.

Type "control system" and press enter

use the system control panel that pops up to change the workgroup name but leave the server name and everything else alone.

close the window, don't reboot the system. Continue with the setup, and once it's all going you'll have that workgroup name and the certificates in certificate services will be named properly too so you don't have to re-build that junk after the fact, which is possible as well but a real PITA."

Tried it. It worked. Like it. Thanks again.