RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Features comparison across Windows Home Server 2011, Small Business Server 2011 Essentials and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials

tinkererguy

But I will probably switch to WHS2011! Why? Within a server/client setup, the server must be running. If it's down - Shit. Also I'm not 100% happy with response times via LAN, due to the fact that everything is routed via my server.

I'm only running Windows 7 clients and I do not necessarily need the additional value of GPOs - therefore WHS2011 seems to be the right option. If you are going to manage your network via GPOs with probably W7, Vista, XP, SBSE should be the right choice.

I'm confused... How does running WHS2011 prevent you from not being able to access media files if the server is down?

I don't think he means the actual server is down. The server service needs to be running to provide access via shares. If the server service is down you should still be able to access it via remote services. that being said I still do not understand why its doing what he said it's doing. Especially since WHS2011 doesn't solve the issue of shares becoming unavailable. Perhaps his DC goes down and therefore loses the GPO for redirect, but that still doesn't explain how WHS2011 solves the issue

Edited by no-control

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have licences for WHS 2011 SBS Essentials and full SBS.

I am trying to get my head around all of this. I have 3 PC's 1 Server and 1 Laptop.

My WHS 1 Box is very overloaded and I am not 100% happy with it. It has over time slowed down a lot and I have been waiting for WHS 2 to upgrade my server. Unfortunatly the two main features Drive Extender and Media Center integration are not there. WHS1 leaves me uneasy about the way it backs up or does not backup the operating system and no matter what I do it won't run the WD EARS 2TB drives without almost killing the network, yes I have used the jumper and the software align feature. I did temporarily have WHS Vail beta running on it very fast and enjoyed the backup and huge improvement of performance but reverted when they kept jumping from one Drive Extender format to another then finally killing it.

I need large storage full time so probably add a Drobo to my server for Pooled redundant storage.

I am trying to decide what to do next.

I would like to stream media but not critical as have Media Center computer running 24/7, was hoping to get away with one computer running 24/7. Windows 7 Media Center keeps loosing the tuner cards if it goes into standby so I have to keep it going which is why it made sense to run Media Center on the Server.

I want to do this economically. I have as mentioned the software and a spare computer Core2duo Quad and 4G ram.

I need economical antivirus, backup of server and clients. I would like exchange server but that is optional, I get it hosted externally now but SBS full version does come with it. I would like to have all my files for all computers on the server and to be able to roam but again not essential but nice.

It seems SBS full version is the best fit but looks like I need to spend serious money on backup and antivirus on the server and no clear backup features like the Essentials version of SBS and WHS. I have even considered using a Windows 7 Pro setup and working out some backup software and that gives me one computer 24/7 with a Drobo for storage but miss out on the SBS features. I am not sure WHS 2 will even last the distance as it does not deliver the most asked for feature of Media Center and it removes the second most popular reason of Drive Extender. SBS will continue on.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think he means the actual server is down. The server service needs to be running to provide access via shares. If the server service is down you should still be able to access it via remote services. that being said I still do not understand why its doing what he said it's doing. Especially since WHS2011 doesn't solve the issue of shares becoming unavailable. Perhaps his DC goes down and therefore loses the GPO for redirect, but that still doesn't explain how WHS2011 solves the issue

Yes, check all your Services to make sure they are running. Just sort at the top of the column "Startup Type" and make sure all those set to Automatic are indeed running.

Also, an SBS box can be the ONLY DC on the domain. No Secondary DC's are allowed except in the case of a migration from say 2003 to 2008 and then you only have a set number of days to allow both to operate. This is but one of the ways that MS can restrict you from running in an environment with more than 75 CAL's.

Yes, check all your Services to make sure they are running. Just sort at the top of the column "Startup Type" and make sure all those set to Automatic are indeed running.

Also, an SBS box can be the ONLY DC on the domain. No Secondary DC's are allowed except in the case of a migration from say 2003 to 2008 and then you only have a set number of days to allow both to operate. This is but one of the ways that MS can restrict you from running in an environment with more than 75 CAL's.

See also this thread for some more version comparisons:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2339-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials/