RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HandBrake

dvn

I downloaded HandBrake today and loaded it onto a VM. The discussion above was nice as it helped me get started using the program without any additional reading. I have a long ways to go though. Thanks guys.

It is neat watching it within S2008R2. The CPU is averaging around 48% and the memory is averaging around 2800 MB (dynamic). CPU's are averaging around 140 F and power is at 130 W. I guess it is putting a little heat on the system. B)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• i-bystander

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• timekills

WMC. At least I'm trying to stay with Media Center. At some point I may just give and move to XBMC or some other. Actually, I should see if I can get my WMC remote working with XBMC. I hear it's possible.

If you're using a Harmony, should be easy as pie. Subtitles are a quick on/off option on XBMC, and aside from full-fledged Netflix, XBMC rocks... on any platform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

WMC. At least I'm trying to stay with Media Center. At some point I may just give and move to XBMC or some other. Actually, I should see if I can get my WMC remote working with XBMC. I hear it's possible.

XBMC supports all Windows Media Center remotes natively. If you are running XBMC in Windows, theres nothing extra you need to do. If you are running it on Linux, you just need to install lirc. Drop to a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install lirc

When the menu appears, you have to scroll down through the list and find the Windows Media Center Remote. It works great!

As for the original topic, I am a big fan of Handbrake and have been using it for years for both DVD and Blu-Ray rips.

I exclusively use h.264 in an MKV container. I retain the native Dolby or DTS soundtracks whenever possible. For DVDs I use whatever subtitle track was already there, but for Blu-Rays, I have to import them from an SRT file. It adds a couple extra steps, but it works!

• 7 months later...

I'm trying to encode my dvds from native video_ts folders to a high quality compatible format for playback on my htpc (XBMC inside WMC) and possibly for streaming via plex to the gf's Ipad. I'd also like to retain soft subtitles (yet be sure I'm not missing the occasional hard coded foreign language tracks)

I'm thinking h.264 in an .mkv container would be best. I tried using dvdfab and it was nice that it could export the subitles into .sub and .idx files. That played fine (subtitle wise) but the quality was very poor. I even tried increasing the bitrate to 2000kbps with 2-pass encoding and the quality was still poor.

I have since dabbled with Handbrake and the video quality is FAR better than dvdfab at the high quality CQ 20 setting. I'm having issues with the subtitles though. What settings have proven successful for those wishing to retain english soft-subtitles? Do i just add the "1 English (VobSub)" track under the subtitles tab? Do i need to add the "Foreign Audio search (Bitmap)" track as well to make sure i dont' miss any random scenes in foreign languages? What about checking the "default" box? I have searched the internet for answers for this, but have yet to find any good answers.

Thanks in advance,

nlitend1