RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Atom 525 vs i3 530

Cool Gui

I cannot for the life of me figure out the 15 watt difference between i3 and atom has gotten all over this site. From my research and all I have been able to find, the i3-530 CPU max TDP is around 75 and the Atom 525 is 13. Yet after searching this site pretty rigorously, I can only find the atom being shot down because the i3-530 supposedly doesn't use much more power.

Core i3 530 vs Atom D525

I'm starting to think the people quoting the small difference in the i3 power usage must have been seen something about the Sandy Bridge i3 that uses only 35w, but there is a huge price difference with that. Also it wasn't even released when this topic and many others were active. i3-2100T

Can anyone clear this up for me? I am also building my WHS and 13 vs 73 TDP is a huge difference to me. That being said, I think the i3-2100T is the way to go if the price difference in cpu and board isn't too bad.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the 15 watt difference between i3 and atom has gotten all over this site. From my research and all I have been able to find, the i3-530 CPU max TDP is around 75 and the Atom 525 is 13. Yet after searching this site pretty rigorously, I can only find the atom being shot down because the i3-530 supposedly doesn't use much more power.

Core i3 530 vs Atom D525

I'm starting to think the people quoting the small difference in the i3 power usage must have been seen something about the Sandy Bridge i3 that uses only 35w, but there is a huge price difference with that. Also it wasn't even released when this topic and many others were active. i3-2100T

Can anyone clear this up for me? I am also building my WHS and 13 vs 73 TDP is a huge difference to me. That being said, I think the i3-2100T is the way to go if the price difference in cpu and board isn't too bad.

I'm sure our BYOB folks will jump on this one, but I'll start by saying TDP != real world power draw.

I'm sure our BYOB folks will jump on this one, but I'll start by saying TDP != real world power draw.

Interesting... I guess I should be looking for real world benchmarks of power usage. The only way I really know to do this for sure is to build two systems then hook up a power meter. I wonder if I can find dependable benchmarks out there somewhere that backs up the low power draw from the 530v vs atom.

Interesting... I guess I should be looking for real world benchmarks of power usage. The only way I really know to do this for sure is to build two systems then hook up a power meter. I wonder if I can find dependable benchmarks out there somewhere that backs up the low power draw from the 530v vs atom.

If I had a Kill-a-Watt I'd tell you, as I have both at the house. To add to my previous statement, the i3 will use significantly more power than a dual-core Atom under full load. At idle, or near-idle which it would be in a server environment most of the time the difference is fairly small. I think the bias comes in because although the power use for 95% time is similar, the i3 can pump out the cpu power if/when it's needed.

I think you have to compare similar equipped systems trying to do similar things if you want to know the real comparison. PCDoc stated in a thread that he was seeing about 15 watts difference between an Atom machine and a core i3 server. The Atom is underpowered compared to the Core i3 so the recommendation has and continues to be the Core i3.

I had a D510 in my WHS originally. It was a tad bit sluggish with add-ons installed. Now I have a i3 running WS2998R2 and I virtualize my WHS.. it runs smooth and I can do so much more with it. My power difference is less the 20 watts. I recommend getting the i3. I don't think you will regret it!

I'll echo what everyone is saying; you can't measure the wattage used by only looking at the CPU. You need to take measurements full systems; measure it from the wall. Often you'll find the stated specs don't seem to relate at all.

I realize most of these points, but I guess other factors come into play. If you chose an atom it would be best if you didn't need to transcode much, if anything. I use playon and I considered that as a use, but as far as I can tell none of the content I get through that is actually in HD.

I've started looking more into the i3-2100t options, but I still can't find a lot of real world power consumption test out on the internet.

Core i3 530 vs Atom D525

The comments you see on this site have been measured using a kil-a-watt out of the wall. You are correct in numbers comparison however these are completely different architechtures. The TDP on the core Ix series include the graphics, memory, and support functions on the chip. Do not get lost in the TDP numbers as what really matters is what comes from the wall as a "system". The measurements where made under normal server loads. Many of the Atoms you see measured on this site measured as a "system" run around 25 to 30 watts at the wall. A comparable Core I3 measures about 15-18 watts more than that under normall I/O and functions using a comparably equiped system. That does not mean that if you attach a CPU load program that you can not get it to spike higher than that or that under momentary high load conditions you will not see spikes that go higher than that, it means that under server funcitons (streaming, backup, no graphics, etc.) that the power efficientcy of core Ix series at the "system" level is effectively ends up with much higher performance with only 15-18 watts more power draw. The Sandy Bridge narrows the gap even more at the system level. Ultimately you have to buy what makes sense for you but if you make your decision solely on power savings, I belive you may not be happy with your choice. I have posted a couple of blog posts that show power useage for a Core-I3 under a HTPC use, but as a comparison, my 2011 server has 12 drives in it and draws less than 65 watts out of the wall. Hope that answers your questions on how the numbers where derived.

Guest no-control

Both of my server projects (BIOS Reset & One) were measured at the wall in similar ambient conditions. My HTPC build was in a slightly cooler room with less draw due to the lack of large hard drives.

TDP is pointless measurement for anything other than potential heat loading for the HSF. Like Doc said measuring a system draw at idle from the wall is the best apples to apples comparison for a server. When you factor in the marginal difference in system power draw along with the added capabilities and service life of the i3 it wins hands down.

These of course are our opinions based on the facts we were presented.