RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vantec NexStar USB-3 dock performance

ikon

Along with my new desktop build equipment I bought a USB-3 HD dock to take advantage of the USB-3 port on the mobo. I just ran ATTO against the drive and I'm wondering what people think of the performance: good ? bad ? mediocre ?

Vantec-usb3-dock_performance.jpgVantec-usb3-dock.jpg

Edited by ikon

That is a sweet looking dock! I will have to test my Kingwin esata to see how it compares.

Edited by mattd390

Along with my new desktop build equipment I bought a USB-3 HD dock to take advantage of the USB-3 port on the mobo. I just ran ATTO against the drive and I'm wondering what people think of the performance: good ? bad ? mediocre ?

Vantec-usb3-dock_performance.jpgVantec-usb3-dock.jpg

Performance is very good for a single green drive. Your speed is limited by your drive not your docking station. Your docking station is pretty awesome and is doing what it is supposed to.

Guest no-control

Not a huge fan the HDD toasters but that drive is definitely why the speeds aren't anything to write home about.

Tim turned me on to a toaster that fits into a 5.25" drive slot and has a standard SATA plug. Now that I think about I should test it and see if its SATA I or II.

Tim turned me on to a toaster that fits into a 5.25" drive slot and has a standard SATA plug. Now that I think about I should test it and see if its SATA I or II.

That is cool. Please do tell what the model is.

Not a huge fan the HDD toasters but that drive is definitely why the speeds aren't anything to write home about.

Could this be useful for offsite storage? Backup and take the drive with me.

Could this be useful for offsite storage? Backup and take the drive with me.

How'd you know? :) That's exactly what I use mine for, mostly, I also will use them to quickly move files from computer to computer. And, I use an eSATA dock to SpinRite drives.