RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Build

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Holy crap. :)

I posted this because I was listening to BYOB Live #2 and pcdoc was asking you to post a screenshot of your VM's. I didn't realize you had this many. Wow!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daleo1

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

Nice Job Rookie!

Untitled-6.jpg

I'm RAM limited ATM. Should the another 16GB here in the morning so I can run more of these at once. >=]

Man, and you're Core i3 handles all of that at once? I tried that same CPU and it couldn't handle real-time HD transcodes with AirVideo, so I guess a running a VM doesn't take much if it's idling.

Nice Job Rookie!

I'm RAM limited ATM. Should the another 16GB here in the morning so I can run more of these at once. >=]

If dagamer34 is right about your core i3, then hahahaha! I have you beat on the hardware as mine is an i7. ;)

No I don't run all these at once. Most of them are for setting up school labs. My WHS & W7 vm's run 24/7 and eat 4GB of RAM. I always try to leave a gig free for the host. I only have 8GB in the machine right now. Thankfully for testing and lab work I don't need a lot of RAM so I can get by using 128GB on the XP clients and 2003 can run on either 256 or 512 depending on what I'm doing. Most I've had running at once is my WHS and W7 + 3 XP clients + 3 WS2k3 + WS2k8R2. Thsts a host + 9 VMs running on a core i3 and 8GB of RAM. It was somewhat slow going but the processor was never over 75% and a few 100% spikes. I'll be CPU limited once I upgrade to 16GB, I rarely run that many VM's at once really I just want to be able to run the VMs with 2GB of RAM as a minimum.

The i3 is no slouch, but then I use my big powerful machines for heavy lifting (i5 / i7) not my VM server. You can get away with a lot when you specialize your hardware. Its when you guys want a rig to sip power, video edit & game all in a SFF with no heat gain, that something has to give. But yes apples to apples as a VM server you i7 will stomp my i3 provided you have the RAM and IOPS that I have......

cool.gif