RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Build

Great looking build. Your CPU temps are still a bit high even with the H50 for a stock clock. Although I have a full water cooling solution, I run about 38C (100F) at stock and about 46C (115F) at 4.5Ghz Nice job, on this build and thanks for all th pictures.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Daleo1

It is the new "adjustable pitch" H50. The 4° tilt allows for increased airflow by creating a partial vacuum around the intake thereby causing a small vortex in front of the radiator for additional cooling. Alternatively, he did not have long enough screws for the top two mounting holes? Pick your made up excuse. ;-)

Hey, April 1 is over :D

If it makes you feel better I could post a picture with it setting correctly.

You know the rule: no picture = it didn't happen :)

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Great looking build. Your CPU temps are still a bit high even with the H50 for a stock clock. Although I have a full water cooling solution, I run about 38C (100F) at stock and about 46C (115F) at 4.5Ghz Nice job, on this build and thanks for all th pictures.

Dang, that is cool. My temps are obviously at ideal given it is from the UEFI and there is no overclocking. I wonder if the H70 would get me down around your numbers? If not, what does your water cooling solution have that make it better? Is it just more fluid? Is it truly water? Mineral spirits, or something else non-conducting would be a lot better.

Did your board come with a USB3 header connector (20-1 pin)? Mine didn't and I haven't found one yet. Do you know where to get one?

You know the rule: no picture = it didn't happen :)

That is why I posted a picture after I cut the screws to the appropriate length.

• 2 weeks later...
ImTheTypeOfGuy

I took out the H50 and put a H70 in. Unfortunately, no reduction in temp. I guess 122 at idle is the best I will get without stepping up to a build your own cooling system (whatever those are called).

What do you guys use to monitor temps, cpu, and memory usage within W7.

PS Got my new Lian Li PC-A70F today for my server. Wow that thing is huge. Can't wait to get the hardware in it.

Guest no-control

HWmonitor

You're not seeing an improvement with the H70 because the H50 wasn't being stressed. So the H50 has plenty of capacity for your setup. Custom loop would be more efficient, but not really better.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HWmonitor

You're not seeing an improvement with the H70 because the H50 wasn't being stressed. So the H50 has plenty of capacity for your setup. Custom loop would be more efficient, but not really better.

Thanks. Looks like there is a large discrepancy between HW monitor and the UEFI. Can you explain the differences?

From UEFI snapshots the processor temp is 120 to 122 at idle. HW monitor shows it well below that.

cpuid.PNG?psid=1

Guest no-control

HWMonitor is just a GUI for the info the motherboard presents. this is the same info presented in EFI. The difference of course is drivers. The drivers loaded with windows make a difference in system operation. This is why you can overclock a system and it'll POST without issue but as soon as windows loads it'll BSOD. Always compare changes using the same tools. once you have a screen shot of your base system using a tool, you can then reference it all day long using that same tool for comparative data.

I've stated this on podcasts and across several threads, especially in the HDD threads. DO NOT compare system settings across DIFFERENT tools. You'll just confuse yourself and run around chasing numbers.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HWMonitor is just a GUI for the info the motherboard presents. this is the same info presented in EFI. The difference of course is drivers. The drivers loaded with windows make a difference in system operation. This is why you can overclock a system and it'll POST without issue but as soon as windows loads it'll BSOD. Always compare changes using the same tools. once you have a screen shot of your base system using a tool, you can then reference it all day long using that same tool for comparative data.

I've stated this on podcasts and across several threads, especially in the HDD threads. DO NOT compare system settings across DIFFERENT tools. You'll just confuse yourself and run around chasing numbers.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know if it was this (and yes, I have heard you mention not to compare different tools) or if it was measured at different spots or was just a calculation routine that differs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest no-control

Nice Job Rookie!

Untitled-6.jpg

I'm RAM limited ATM. Should the another 16GB here in the morning so I can run more of these at once. >=]

Edited by no-control