RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAM

texasPI

Hi guys

My self-built WHS V1 is running with 1.5gb of RAM. The components are from an old desktop that had the motherboard fail and I just replaced the mobo and turned it into a WHS. Anyhow, I plan to move to 2011 when available and am wondering if I should upgrade my RAM and if so, how much? I haven't had any performance issues at all with my current set-up and aside from client backups, I also stream standard DVD rips to my HTPC w/o any issues. I heard on one of the podcasts about how minimal the requirements are for WHS 2011 so I'm not sure I'd benefit from more RAM.

So what say you?

I say......RAM is so dirt cheap right now, go with a minimum of 4 GIGS DDR3. The specific speed will depend on your MOBO requirements.

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I need DDR2 which is giving me pause. My mobo is a hybrid type with two DDR3 and two DDR2 RAM slots. It accepts AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPUs. I'm wondering if I should just get and AM3 processor and DDR3 or get DDR2 RAM which should be compatible( according to manual) with an AM3 processor if I go that route later.

Hi guys

My self-built WHS V1 is running with 1.5gb of RAM. The components are from an old desktop that had the motherboard fail and I just replaced the mobo and turned it into a WHS. Anyhow, I plan to move to 2011 when available and am wondering if I should upgrade my RAM and if so, how much? I haven't had any performance issues at all with my current set-up and aside from client backups, I also stream standard DVD rips to my HTPC w/o any issues. I heard on one of the podcasts about how minimal the requirements are for WHS 2011 so I'm not sure I'd benefit from more RAM.

So what say you?

I say YES. Minimum for 2011 is 2G, 4 is recommended. I have run it with 4 and 8 and there is not much gain with 8 so go for 4Gigs.