RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
katardrax

EX-485 - Looking for Suggestions

katardrax

Hi All,

So this is the third post in the saga of my sick EX485. Rather than bore you with the history: For some reason, my server locked up a couple times and then started reporting errors. After several reboots, the server came up and reported by backup database corrupt and promptly deleted all of it. No problem. :-P The network status now reports that the drive WD15EARS-00Z5B1 has errors and should be repaired....laughable, because this is the drive model and I have 3 of them. I took the server down and ran Spinrite on all of them with no errors. I also ran a chkdsk on the DE volume, but after 10 days of a blinking blue light, I stopped it. I cannot remote desktop in (blank blue screen, but no login box) and the console opens, but no login.

My questions are: Is there anything I can do do repair this? Should I scrap the whole thing and rebuild?

KK

diehard

Looks like a Server Recovery process is your best bet. It will not touch you data on the drive pool, but will delete your PC backups, which you already lost.

ikon

but will delete your PC backups, which you already lost.

Unless, as a faithful HSS listener and poster, you have your backups, er, backed up ;)

• Like 1

efmrrt

Unless, as a faithful HSS listener and poster, you have your backups, er, backed up ;)

:unsure: My backups are on the EX495. I haven't gotten to back them up yet. I know I'm playing with fire on this. Not to hijack the thread, but how is the best way to back up the server with 4 TB of data.

ikon

:unsure: My backups are on the EX495. I haven't gotten to back them up yet. I know I'm playing with fire on this. Not to hijack the thread, but how is the best way to back up the server with 4 TB of data.

I don't think anything can beat online backup, but you have to have enough internet bandwidth to handle the load, which I don't. So, I have an external 4-bay drive enclosure that I use to hold a copy of the data from my WHS drive pool. I also have a drive dock attached to my WHS that I back up to every night and take offsite every morning. I use RoboCopy for all the backups. Once I have a WHS 2011 server set up, I will likely use the built in backup to back up just the system drive.

jazzerjay

I don't think anything can beat online backup, but you have to have enough internet bandwidth to handle the load, which I don't. So, I have an external 4-bay drive enclosure that I use to hold a copy of the data from my WHS drive pool. I also have a drive dock attached to my WHS that I back up to every night and take offsite every morning. I use RoboCopy for all the backups. Once I have a WHS 2011 server set up, I will likely use the built in backup to back up just the system drive.

I like to copy to my DROBO by using ROBOcopy as I have the same "problem" with that much data as well. ;)

Edited by jazzerjay

ikon

This is going

I like to copy to my DROBO by using ROBOcopy as I have the same "problem" with that much data as well. ;)

It's about to get a lot easier for me now that my Lian-Li EX-503Bs have arrived :D