RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Buy Strikes Again!

awraynor

I went to one of our satellite offices the other day and one of the staff asked me about

recovering some lost files. She said she was off the afternoon prior, and when she came

back in the morning her computer was reset to factory default. "I'll assume it gave

an error screen and she selected that option, but thus I digress".

She told me she took the drive to Best Buy and they told her no files could be recovered

and they reinstalled Windows, doh! So I quickly installed Recuva, and guess what, I

was able to recover some files they said couldn't be recovered. Of course the Windows

install made many of them unrecoverable. The irony of this occurring right around

World Backup Day.

It's an independent office that has no backup solution, which blows me away. No one

there is literate enough to run a WHS, regrettably. I thought I may recommend something

like Oops Backup for file backup or BounceBack Ultimate for whole disc backup in near real

time. Either way, I just can't believe they don't have any backup strategy. Of course

I told them never to go to Best Buy again.

I went to one of our satellite offices the other day and one of the staff asked me about

recovering some lost files. She said she was off the afternoon prior, and when she came

back in the morning her computer was reset to factory default. "I'll assume it gave

an error screen and she selected that option, but thus I digress".

She told me she took the drive to Best Buy and they told her no files could be recovered

and they reinstalled Windows, doh! So I quickly installed Recuva, and guess what, I

was able to recover some files they said couldn't be recovered. Of course the Windows

install made many of them unrecoverable. The irony of this occurring right around

World Backup Day.

It's an independent office that has no backup solution, which blows me away. No one

there is literate enough to run a WHS, regrettably. I thought I may recommend something

like Oops Backup for file backup or BounceBack Ultimate for whole disc backup in near real

time. Either way, I just can't believe they don't have any backup strategy. Of course

I told them never to go to Best Buy again.

Someone I know went throug a similar situation with one twist. Since I had setup the system in the first place there was a second drive in the system which contained the images of the "C" drive as well as the data. The geniuses at BB did not know and charged her for a new install and license as she did not have the key number. I agree with you, do not ever go to best buy for service and repair as the people are not trained in what they do and do not understand this stuff.

Someone I know went throug a similar situation with one twist. Since I had setup the system in the first place there was a second drive in the system which contained the images of the "C" drive as well as the data. The geniuses at BB did not know and charged her for a new install and license as she did not have the key number. I agree with you, do not ever go to best buy for service and repair as the people are not trained in what they do and do not understand this stuff.

Geek Squad my hairy...... These guys have about as much geek cred as a doorknob does.

One of my favorite past times is to go to Best Buy and "pretend to shop" while listening to all the BS the Geek Squaders are handing out.

One of my favorite past times is to go to Best Buy and "pretend to shop" while listening to all the BS the Geek Squaders are handing out.

Unfortunately, the give all geeks a bad rep.:angry:

Seriously though, if you were a geek who actually knew what you were doing, would you work for the Geek Squad?

Seriously though, if you were a geek who actually knew what you were doing, would you work for the Geek Squad?

if I was 18 - 22 again, I might.

@jmwills

I agree. For fun I will ask their opinion. It's mean I know, but you have to get your jollies where you can.

This lack of knowledge is not limited to Best Buy. I was having internet trouble a couple of weeks ago (no, it wasn't my router's fault) and the tech that came out to the house was an absolute idiot. It's a long story that I don't feel like typing and you probably don't feel like reading, but I feel sorry for the people that take what these idiots say as fact and trust their opinion.