RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Mac cloning software

dvn

I'm going to replace a friend's 5 year old 80 GB drive with something bigger/faster. Do I use SuperDuper? Is it fairly straightforward?

pcdoc

I'm going to replace a friend's 5 year old 80 GB drive with something bigger/faster. Do I use SuperDuper? Is it fairly straightforward?

I understand that Norton Ghost works right from you Windows machine and some say so does Acronis.

usacomp2k3

Does Timemachine do full-drive backups?

awraynor

Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free and it works great! I don't believe Time Machine

does complete backups, but CCC is awesome and free!

ikon

I use CloneZilla Live. it's free. It doesn't have a polished interface but it's robust and dependable.

dvn

CCC and Carbon Copy Cloner? I'll take a look. I've heard Leo L. mention SuperDuper before. That's why I mentioned it.

You guys have done this on a Mac before? I'm asking because I don't much experience with them and I don't want to mess this up.

ikon

CCC and Carbon Copy Cloner? I'll take a look. I've heard Leo L. mention SuperDuper before. That's why I mentioned it.

You guys have done this on a Mac before? I'm asking because I don't much experience with them and I don't want to mess this up.

you really shouldn't be in much danger here. Remember, you always have the original 80 GB drive. I have never done it on a Mac but CloneZilla doesn't care what OS it is; it works at the drive level so it's agnostic to anything above that.

dvn

Yes, you're right about still having the original drive. That's my safety net. :)

Looks like I have a couple of free options. If I can't manage to get it done with those, I'll buy SuperDuper. It's only $27 or so. Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

awraynor

I dabble in macs for fun. I have used CCC and it worked perfectly.

Time Machine professes system backup, but I really didn't think

it was a complete backup situation.

burix

Another vote for CCC. Don't forget to partition with GUID partition table if its an Intel based MAC or the Apple Partition Map if its a Power-PC based one. Can even be used from the running machine to a connected HDD.

CCC.jpg