RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Question about a new raid build

NateDawg1148

Hi,

I am looking to build a new rig for 2011. I would like to have two raids on the go. The first would be raid 1 for the OS and the second would be raid 5 for the data. I am looking for a 1155 board with at least 6 slots.

Listening to BYOB, I understand the differenes between the hardware and software raids. I was hoping to be able to hardware both sets of raids. Is this possible?

I am looking for someone to guide me to which board to get that can accomplish this. I haven't done a raid build before and want to be sure that the board i buy will be able to accomplish everything that I want to do with it. I dont care if it is an H

or a P board, but I do want 4 banks of memory. I've been looking at the different Gigabyte boards upon all the recomedations.

Thanks for any input.

Nate

Hi,

I am looking to build a new rig for 2011. I would like to have two raids on the go. The first would be raid 1 for the OS and the second would be raid 5 for the data. I am looking for a 1155 board with at least 6 slots.

Listening to BYOB, I understand the differenes between the hardware and software raids. I was hoping to be able to hardware both sets of raids. Is this possible?

I am looking for someone to guide me to which board to get that can accomplish this. I haven't done a raid build before and want to be sure that the board i buy will be able to accomplish everything that I want to do with it. I dont care if it is an H

or a P board, but I do want 4 banks of memory. I've been looking at the different Gigabyte boards upon all the recomedations.

Thanks for any input.

Nate

I plan on using a Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 MB and will run 3 types of Raid:

OS Drive:

- Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S (2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD Converter with RAID) for Operating System

- Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB - 2 Drives in RAID 1 for OS

Data Drives:

- Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA - 2 Drives in RAID 1 from Motherboard

Video Drives:

- HighPoint RocketRAID 2680 SGL PCI-Express x4 SATA Controller Card

- Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA - 5 Drives in RAID 5 from Controller Card

The only change for me would be changing the MB to a SandyBridge based MB.

Tim

Hi,

I am looking for someone to guide me to which board to get that can accomplish this.

Nate

Are you sure you mean hardware raid and not firmware? This was a small point of contention from the podcast. I don't believe you'll find any H-class 1156 boards that do any true hardware RAID. Almost all onboard (on motherboard) RAID is firmware RAID; i.e. the CPU handles the parity calculations. If you mean onboard vs. OS RAID, that is a different story.

Are you sure you mean hardware raid and not firmware? This was a small point of contention from the podcast. I don't believe you'll find any H-class 1156 boards that do any true hardware RAID. Almost all onboard (on motherboard) RAID is firmware RAID; i.e. the CPU handles the parity calculations. If you mean onboard vs. OS RAID, that is a different story.

Yes I suppose I meant the same thing. Where the CPU handles parity and not the OS, and I'm looking at a 1155 board not a 56.

If I get this board as an example Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 Socket 1155 link here where it provides 6 sata ports, 4 x Sata 3 and 2 x Sata 6. Will it allow me to "firmware" raid the two 6's to be raid 1 for the OS and combine the four 3's to be raid 5 for data?

Thanks for the replys.

Nate

Yes, just as you said. Use the 2 Marvell 6Gb ports for the OS and the 4 x3 Gb ports for a RAID 5 or 10.

From the board's specs:

1. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

2. 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices

3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Marvell 88SE9128 chip:

1. 2 x eSATA 6Gb/s connectors on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

2. Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1

Nice mobo.

Hi,

Thanks for any input.

Nate

Here are my thoughts. Get the H board so at will you can attach a monitor in case you need to which you cannot do with the P. As for the four slots, I would not worry too much as I belive that 2011 taps out at 8 gig so you can find a good deal right in the beginning and get the 8gig right from the start. TimeKills is correct on the firmware RAID which we called "hardware" vs the software only solution. The parity is handled by the CPU but in a home application it is not a concern. After using both, I still recommend you add a card such as the 2640 or 2680 for your RAID. I realize it is anohter $70-$90 but the features and portability you gain are well worth it. The email notifications, the speed, the flexibilty to add drives, etc. The motherboard connectors can be saved for any additional mirrors or drives you may add in the future. I would stay aways from any kind of RAID on the OS unless you get something like the IcyDock which raids two laptop dirves without use of software or drivers of anykind. It is the simplest and easiest way to go. As for the process here is a rough outline. Once you firm up your hardware, we can refine the instructions. As a closing comment, either method you choose will "work" the real difference is in the feature set and security. With a stanalone card, you can move the card and drives to a different system or say that you have to replace the motherboard and the exact motherboard is not avialable. In theory it should work but it will depend on how different the new board is. With an add in card, it will not make any difference. If the add in card fails, as long as you get the same MFG, it should recognize the array. Having blown away the OS 3 times now and soon will do it again for the RTM, I am thankful I chose this method as it is very simple to do. Just my two cents.

Using the motherboard controllers:

1. Set your BIOS to "RAID"

2. Install your OS on preferably a standalone or dock box

3. Once you OS is installed, add the motherboard drivers as well as the Intel Rapid storage drivers

4. Create you RAID using the Intel driver.

5. Drive management, initialize the new disk (Do not use the console)

4. Format and you are good to go.

Using a Highpoint (or equiv)

1. Set your BIOS to "AHCI"

2. Install your OS on preferably a standalone or dock box

3. Once you OS is installed, add the motherboard drivers but DO NOT install the Intel Rapid storage drivers.

4. Install the driver that came with your card

4. Create your RAID using the supplied driver.

5. Drive management, initialize the new disk (Do not use the console)

4. Format and you are good to go.