RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
efmrrt

HP EX495 - driving me Crazy!

efmrrt

After reading about the problems here with the HP EX series I too have fallen victim to it. The EX495 worked great for the first several months (its a year old this May) In September of last year thats when the problems started - the HP software ware stopped serving, Twonky has only worked a couple of times. Have always been ablet to access the network drive for file storage. Over the last few weeks, I've had increased red lights for health and it even said something about a bad disk, impending failure, I've done that with no luck. It worked for a while and everytime I brought up the console it was downloading and takes a few minutes to load. Now its at the point that I cannot connect to it very RDP or console. I can access the files most times however once it didn't let me.

I've tried to run system restore and it gets to step 2 and fails and states unknown error. I went with the EX495 to replace my aging frankinbuilt that was large and noisy. I have had more downtime on the EX495 than the economy has had in the last 4 yrs.

My guess:

A. Software is corrupt.

B. On the 20 GB HP set aside for the OS maybe that portion has some damage to the disk??

C. Upgrade gone wrong?

Repair options:

1. Replace the Seagate HD with a WD HD. Just picked one up on Friday.

2. Reload OS and start new.

3. Check Seagate disk and if no errors found use for additional storage.

4. Place EX495 in graveyard and build new server.

Any comments questions or suggestions would be welcomed.

cskenney

I wouldn't say that the HP EX series have had a lot of problems. People typically post their problems and not their successes. I have a EX485 that has worked fine. When I first got it the Seagate drive that came with it failed almost immediately but was replaced by HP without issue.

Replace the OS drive in the server. More than likely there is something wrong with the drive and it is slowly degrading to the point that the system is unusable. You never stated what errors were present when you got the red light.

You don't say how many drives are in your system or how much data you have but here is what I would do.

1. Back up all data to an external drive. If you can, you might try using the add-in BDBB to backup your client backup's too.

2. Replace OS drive with the new WD drive (make sure it is not an EARS drive).

3. Try to perform a server recovery (there is not a system restore).

4. If the system recovery doesn't work then you will have to do a Factory Reset (which you might want to do anyways). Make sure all your data is backed up off the server.

5. If you still are having problems report back here what you have tried and the result and I am sure we can help you solve the problems.

Finally, if you really want to put the EX495 in the graveyard, let me know...I will pay the shipping to take it off your hands!

efmrrt

Ok, Update - all I had in the line of disks is the 1.5 TB Seagate that came stock with it. Over time the OS and HP interface has become more and more unstable. To the point I could not access the 495 in any manor. The only error I got was a disk error - failure. Ran the repair and found nothing for it. Also when I tried system restore/factory reset it got to step 2 and failed state unknown error.

I had a feeling that it was the HD just by the way it was acting. I replaced it this am and did a system restore/factory reset. It is up and running and I have access to the console and in the process of setting it up.

Plan:

Finish setting it up. Add 2 - 2 TB WD Caviar Black HDs and stick the original drive back in to (bay 4) to try to copy the files off it. Most likely getting rid of the Seagate HD.

awraynor

I have been much happier with my two homebuilds than I ever was with my 495.

Joe_Miner

Plan:

Finish setting it up. Add 2 - 2 TB WD Caviar Black HDs and stick the original drive back in to (bay 4) to try to copy the files off it. Most likely getting rid of the Seagate HD.

I believe if you add your Segate to Bay 4 and add it to the Pool the EX495 will format the drive -- If you wish to try copying data off of the Seagate you may need to attach it to a Client and copy from the Client to your EX495 shares over your network. That's what I would try.

Did you make a backup of the files on your EX495 before you removed your Segate Drive? What I do, and you may wish to consider in the future, is back up my essential shares to a WD Element 2TB and I use a Add-in that automates the manual procedure documented in MS's white paper on WHS backup that enables me to make a copy of the Client backup data base -- in my case that's only about 7-800GB but it takes a long time to run over a USB port. It would be a 2 step process: 1) backing up your shares and 2) running BDBB -- in my case I consider the shares more critical and back them up more frequently -- but IF I was working on my machine I'd back everything up before making any big changes on the machine. With 2 WD Element 2TB's I can cycle them and always have a total disaster recovery available off site.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/8/0/18096c95-4850-4176-9821-970691b98aaf/Windows_Home_Server_Home_Computer_Backup.pdf

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/WHS_BDBB

Edited by Joe_Miner

cskenney

I believe if you add your Segate to Bay 4 and add it to the Pool the EX495 will format the drive -- If you wish to try copying data off of the Seagate you may need to attach it to a Client and copy from the Client to your EX495 shares over your network. That's what I would try.

You can place a drive in a HP Mediasmart Server (or any WHSv1 server) and as long as you DON'T add it to the pool you can access it like any other drive. You are correct, if you add it to the pool any data on it will be gone.

BDBB is considered by many to be an essential Add-in on any WHS and it is talked about a lot on the Podcast.

Joe_Miner

You can place a drive in a HP Mediasmart Server (or any WHSv1 server) and as long as you DON'T add it to the pool you can access it like any other drive. You are correct, if you add it to the pool any data on it will be gone.

Good point -- I failed to remember that.

efmrrt

Good point -- I failed to remember that.

I'll have to try this in the morning.

Thnaks