RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 129, what do you think ?

diehard

Hi all.

This week Microsoft signed off on the Release to Manufacture build of Windows Home Server 2011. So this means that over the nect few weeks we should be able to get our hands on the final completed version of WHS2011. Best option is to get a Technet subscription so you can try WHS2011 & WHS2001E, Essentials which will cost around >$550. So Technet will save you money.

Follow the blog link for more details on what we covered, http://homeservershow.com/the-home-server-show-129.html

I'm happy to see that DriveBender is hard at work on their WHS2011 drive pool & folder duplication addin, so if you have a test server, give this a try and report back in these forums.

My WHS v1 server has a bunch of addins and software and is quite stable and mature. The addins are still not available for WHS2011 so I don't see myself jumping over to WHS2011 any time soon, also I'm a big fan of WHS drive pool.

Will you be testing out WHS2011 ? WHat do you think of this weeks podcast ?

John.

I moved over to 2011 and so far, its been great... very stable and MUCH faster. I don't like the extra admin that the lack of DE forces on us but with Drive Bender installed the experience is very close to V1 but with huge performance increases.

Drivebender has been excellent... the first version of the WHS addin had problems.. but Anthony at Drivebender has been excellent in his response to this... each time I submitted a log he'd have an update published within hours that eventually fixed the issues.

It still needs work on share permissions as WHS doesn't recognise the pooled shares in the same way it recognises shares you create through WHS"s standard wizards.. That means at the moment, the shares are not visible remotely or for streaming.. a fix is on the way though..

I set up a pooled share for video and connect to it via SMB on my network media player and it works perfectly. Performance is the same..and very stable.

If only I could work out how to configure NFS so that Bluray works..

Give Drivebender a go, they are working tirelessly to get this product to market....

Hey Dave, I just finished listening to the podcast. In regards to a podcatcher, did you ever try Doggcatcher on your Incredible? It does everything you want and I've been using it for sometime and it is great. The developer is responsive and it plain works.

Developer website

Android Market link.

Edit: I'm not sure if it does streaming. I just download episodes.

Edited by texasPI

Dave...you mentioned a Podcast application for the ipod...what was the name of the application. Looking in the App Store I think you are talking about Podcaster (Formerly RSS Player Podcast Clien) by Alex Sokirynsky.

Is this the correct one...I currently use iTunes and hate needing to connect physically everyday.

Dave, are you from texas? I ask because only a texan would think a couple means two or three. I believe for most of the world, those that want to be correct, a couple means two and a few means three. ;)

I believe for most of the world, those that want to be correct, a couple means two and a few means three. ;)

That is correct. Also, some means 4.

Dave, are you from texas? I ask because only a texan would think a couple means two or three. I believe for most of the world, those that want to be correct, a couple means two and a few means three. ;)

Yep - I'll second that... several would mean more than 5...

Edited by hewisond

I moved over to 2011 and so far, its been great... very stable and MUCH faster. I don't like the extra admin that the lack of DE forces on us but with Drive Bender installed the experience is very close to V1 but with huge performance increases.

Drivebender has been excellent... the first version of the WHS addin had problems.. but Anthony at Drivebender has been excellent in his response to this... each time I submitted a log he'd have an update published within hours that eventually fixed the issues.

It still needs work on share permissions as WHS doesn't recognise the pooled shares in the same way it recognises shares you create through WHS"s standard wizards.. That means at the moment, the shares are not visible remotely or for streaming.. a fix is on the way though..

I set up a pooled share for video and connect to it via SMB on my network media player and it works perfectly. Performance is the same..and very stable.

If only I could work out how to configure NFS so that Bluray works..

Give Drivebender a go, they are working tirelessly to get this product to market....

Here is a link to set up NFS http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/12/11/guide-setting-up-nfs-in-whs/

Thanks Diehard, I appreciate the email!

I'm using 2011 and the setup seems to be different. I had actually used those instructions on WHS v1 and they worked fantastically.. BD ISO's played flawlessly on my TVIX 6600..

I just cant seem to work out the config on Server 2008 / WHS 2011 :(

Cheers,

Dave.