RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fast CPU or HDD

tbowland

Im buying a new Dell laptop and want it to be snappy enough for my wife.....She hates waiting.

Its just for her which means Live mail, IE9 and thats about it. Oh and Remote Desktop to her work PC sometimes.

So I can't seem to have both from Dell

i5 with a 7200 rpm HDD

its i3 with a 7200rpm drive or i5 with a 5400rpm drive

What to do.

Any thoughts out there.

Ted

That's easy, I would get the i5 and install an SSD and keep the 5400rpm drive as a secondary drive. :)

That is exactly what I was thinking as I was sitting here anxious to press the order button on something.

Seems Dell isn't really up to speed yet offering SSDs in anything.

So this makes me wonder about upgrade possibilities as far as the hardware is concerned.

The HDD description on the dell site only says SATA but I would think it is SATAII at least.....wouldn't it?????

What is required of the motherboard and Drive controller to be sure to take advantage of a SSD

Anyone?

Ted

The first question you need to ask is what is the system used for. If nothing but surfing and email, then a Core i3 will be more than sufficient. There are some great deals out there now to clear out the first gen Core i chipsets. For example.......

Look at the difference in price and then see what the higher speed drive could be purchased for separately. I don't see much need for any HDD in a laptop bigger than about 320 gigs.

You must have at least a SATA II connection to run the SSD which rules out a lot of NetBooks that were sold last year.

"Secondary Drive on a Laptop"......not very common and I can guarantee you the wife isn't getting one :)

Seems the problem with doing a user Laptop upgrade is

you don't know the details of the hardwares MB until

you have the laptop in hand (to know if it is SATA II)

Seems the problem with doing a user Laptop upgrade is

you don't know the details of the hardwares MB until

you have the laptop in hand (to know if it is SATA II)

Just ask them via a live chat.

Just ask them via a live chat.

Ya seems logical....

Tried that....they don't answer, they just keep sending links to products.

Whats the model?

It's a Dell I would like to buy Inspiron 14 R > http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ni14r2_f_4e&c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&model_id=inspiron-14r-n4110

Edited by tbowland