RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to install WHS 2011 RTM on your existing RC server

jmwills

This article comes from Sean Daniels site and seems from the surface to be fairly straightforward. Watch for the disclaimers.

In short, get all personal data off Drive 0 and away you go. To me, it almost seems this is about 90% of a clean install. Oh well, just passing it along.

This article comes from Sean Daniels site and seems from the surface to be fairly straightforward. Watch for the disclaimers.

In short, get all personal data off Drive 0 and away you go. To me, it almost seems this is about 90% of a clean install. Oh well, just passing it along.

I have install and re-installed WHS 2011 about 3 times and you are correct, it is pretty much a fresh install. "IF" you do not store data on your primary drive, you should have no issues. I have moved all my data to WHS 2011 (are you listening Jim) and I am not concerned as I already know the primary drive will get blown away, the setting will be gone, and the setup I did for shares will be gone but the data on the RAID volumes and data drives will be fine.

I have install and re-installed WHS 2011 about 3 times and you are correct, it is pretty much a fresh install. "IF" you do not store data on your primary drive, you should have no issues. I have moved all my data to WHS 2011 (are you listening Jim) and I am not concerned as I already know the primary drive will get blown away, the setting will be gone, and the setup I did for shares will be gone but the data on the RAID volumes and data drives will be fine.

Jim seems to be a worry wort so no surprise he will be waiting. Nothing wrong with that though. My only concern jumping now is if they changed the data format such that RTM wouldn't read the data in RC. Of course that is a significant change so I can't imagine that would ever happen and even if it did, you would be able to migrate the data the old way (copy and paste / drag and drop).

Remind me, could you take a data drive out and connect it to a W7 machine and read the data? Seems like you can't do that anymore but I can't remember for sure.

Jim seems to be a worry wort so no surprise he will be waiting. Nothing wrong with that though. My only concern jumping now is if they changed the data format such that RTM wouldn't read the data in RC. Of course that is a significant change so I can't imagine that would ever happen and even if it did, you would be able to migrate the data the old way (copy and paste / drag and drop).

Remind me, could you take a data drive out and connect it to a W7 machine and read the data? Seems like you can't do that anymore but I can't remember for sure.

There is no change to the drive format as it remains NTFS so yes you can port them anywhere, it is not like the DE mess they had in Vail beta.