RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restoring System With Hard Disk Connected to Home Server

joem

Could someone please explain the steps to me to restore a computer hard disk connected to the Home Server machine directly? I have connected a hard disk directly to my HP485 via USB and would like to restore a computer in that manner rather than booting the computer that needs to be restored with the restore disc. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Thanks.

Edited by joem

To do it attached to your HP you will need to RDP into the server.

Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and open ClientRestoreWizard.exe. Follow the onscreen prompts.

Warning!

When you get to the section that you choose which drive you are restoring to, make sure you select the proper drive. Otherwise you will be overwritting one of your server drives. Good luck.

Fantastic! Thanks for the help. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. I have to do it this way because of the nic drivers. I even downloaded the specific drives for 32 bit and it still could not get to the server.

Fantastic! Thanks for the help. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. I have to do it this way because of the nic drivers. I even downloaded the specific drives for 32 bit and it still could not get to the server.

I believe it is a bug and MS won't admit it. Too many people have the driver issue even when they have the drivers. If you have another client, I suggust you use it instead of the server. Works the same on the client as it does the server. Using the client just reduces some of the risk (assuming the client is backed up to your server).

All is well. One issue though. I used a USB toaster plugged into the server and when the restore was taking place it would error out.

"An unknown error occurred." So I used an eSata toaster and it worked great. That's good to know that you can use any client and not just the server. More convenient that way. Thanks again for all your help.

PS. What I particularly liked was that the image filled the whole drive and I did not have to use my partition software to expand the partition to make full use of the larger drive.

One other item of interest that you probably know is that with these Windows 7 installs with the 100 MB hidden partition. When restoring you have to open Disk Management and Create a 100 MB partition on the destination drive with no drive letter when formatting. Then format the remainder of the drive space with a drive letter C.