RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best WHS back-up practise

CablDeViL

I have a extra usb drive I like to use to back up the WHS. I know there has been much talk about this and I just want to know what is the best way to implement it.

I know backing up my dvds folder in my video share is to large and I dont duplicate it for that same reason. The risk I have to take I guess.

But the other shares like photos and such are must as well as my BDBB. I do have WHS BdBB installed and I am not sure what the best way is. I know there are a few articles out there but that are dated and I did not know if there is a new and improves process.

Any links or advice will help. Thank you in advance.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently used BDBB to back up my frankenbuild, then turned around and restored the backups to my new EX495. No problem.

First, I set the frankenbuild (\\SERVER2) to back up to a folder on my EX495 - \\SERVER\Software\BDBB. Then I pointed the BDBB program on my EX495 to the \\SERVER\Software\BDBB folder and let 'er rip. Mission accomplished - backups successfully integrated into the new system!

Shortly, I'll be using the frankenbuild to back up the EX495. But first, I have to toss its noisy butt down into the basement. :)

So, I'm not sure if that helps you with your answer directly, but I think it demonstrates that BDBB works great. I imagine that if you're using an external USB-connected hdd, you'll have no problem getting the backup done. I've also done previous backups to an external USB drive, though I never had occasion to test the restoration process with it. But again, I'd imagine it'd be flawless. Hope that helps.

dvn,

Ok so using BDBB will back up the back up database in case the os drive on the WHS take a crud and even though the actual back ups will be on my data drives safe if I loose the OS drive im hosed (from what I understand)

Now there is no proper way to back up the OS partition on whs correctly so I would just do a reinstall of the server - load the BDBB and restore the back up database so the new install can see the client back ups on the data disks.

So for a regular back up routine on site with a IoSafe I would back up the shares manualy to the usb drive then run the Bdbb and I should be good to go?

ty

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CablDeViL,

I think in episode 67 or 68 the guys talked about a feature to backup the WHS OS partition. This would be a nice feature in the next version of WHS or software product. I have BDBB installed on my WHS but have not got around to set it up. Thanks for the info on how BDBB works in a nutshell dvn. I will set it up on my WHS this weekend. My current backup strategy is using CrashPlan to backup my Apple computers to WHS and use the WHS connector software to backup my Windows computers. I use Crashplan to backup my data from the WHS to the cloud. For $5 a month you can not beat it.

PCEddie

I should have mentioned that Server Backup let's you choose the shared folders you'd like to backup. You can select photos, ignore videos, etc. That should serve your needs, no?

dvn yea that I will have to try to find. Sound like what im looking for to pair up with BDBB.

PCEddie - I have BDBB plugin installed also but just haven't found the time to test it. really haven't had to post much either. I will go back and re-listen to 67 and 68 .

Thanks Again

@PCEddie - You're welcome.

@CablDeViL - I probably should have been clearer about server backup, or backing up the server, as it were.

Open the WHS Console and click the 'Computers & Backup' tab. There you'll see your server listed along with your other computers. That