RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Lurker

Amazon Cloud Drive

Lurker

Looking on the Amazon.com pages today I noticed that they are offering up to 5GB of online storage for free. It looks like they are really pushing it as way to save purchased MP3s. Looks like a great deal to me. It also has some default folders included Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos. You can buy more storage at the following rates.

AmazonCloudStorage.png

texasPI

I've played around with it a bit but I already use Google storage. I'm not interested in music storage as I don't listen to much and who's going to store videos in the cloud (save for some critical family stuff). If you're storing pictures and documents I think Google is a better deal. You can get 20GB for $5/yr. Of course Amazon's offer is a little more compelling because of the music player but Google is rumored to have a cloud based music service coming soon too that may offer the same ability.

Google's plans:

* 20 GB - $5/yr

* 80 GB - $20/yr

* 200 GB - $50/yr

* 400 GB - $100/yr

* 1 TB - $256/yr

* 2 TB - $512/yr

* 4 TB - $1024/yr

* 8 TB - $2048/yr

* 16 TB - $4096/yr

Lurker

I've played around with it a bit but I already use Google storage. I'm not interested in music storage as I don't listen to much and who's going to store videos in the cloud (save for some critical family stuff). If you're storing pictures and documents I think Google is a better deal. You can get 20GB for $5/yr. Of course Amazon's offer is a little more compelling because of the music player but Google is rumored to have a cloud based music service coming soon too that may offer the same ability.

Google's plans:

* 20 GB - $5/yr

* 80 GB - $20/yr

* 200 GB - $50/yr

* 400 GB - $100/yr

* 1 TB - $256/yr

* 2 TB - $512/yr

* 4 TB - $1024/yr

* 8 TB - $2048/yr

* 16 TB - $4096/yr

I agree those are much better rates if you want to buy storage and I love Google. I was just saying the 5GB and music streaming is a great deal especially if you are an amazon customer. I think this is probably a tactic to steal some Apple mp3 purchases. I know I will be purchasing my mp3s from Amazon first now.

jazzerjay

I find this to be fantastic, we have bought many albums (My children call them CDs) over the years from amazon. Automatic saves of those would guarantee that we could get to them if all other precautions failed. That being said, I'm not sure I would want to spend too much, but I think this is a great beginning for other companies to start the price models. I didn't read anything about automatic file syncs? Did anyone else read that?

texasPI

I agree those are much better rates if you want to buy storage and I love Google. I was just saying the 5GB and music streaming is a great deal especially if you are an amazon customer. I think this is probably a tactic to steal some Apple mp3 purchases. I know I will be purchasing my mp3s from Amazon first now.

Oh absoulutely. I don't disagree with you at all. In fact, your Amazon mp3 purchases don't count against your storage.

jmwills

8TB for $2000 annually = insanity.

TechMule

8TB for $2000 annually = insanity.

... but only half as crazy as 16T for $4K :)

jazzerjay

Wow...I just did the math TechMule. I'd have to get a second job... OK a third job. A 4K reoccurring bill? I'm thinking the WAF would be zero!

Dave

If you purchase an album on Amazon they will upgrade you to 20 GB. I purchased the Lady Gaga album for .99 and got the 20Gb. I'm not sure if that is still available or not but even if you don't want the album it's a good deal.

timekills

How about if I pay them $10 to not have to download anything from Lady Gaga.

:lol: