RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wuala by LaCie

You may be starting over data and online wise, but it shouldnt have affected your total space earned.

Also, in the beginning it matters how much space you have shared, however after a certain amount of uptime, the only thing that matters will be your uptime.

Instead of it being ((data shared) * (10) * Uptime) it becomes ((Uptime) * 100GB).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• greenawayj

• CookiePuss

• IndyLux

Is there any plans to increase that 100GB maximum? I had planned to share as much as I needed to backup everything on my WHS except music/video.

IndyLux -- Sorry to hear about your hassles. I've moved my Cache a few times until I found the right place (but I never just deleted the Cache first, I always used the Wuala app itself to move the Cashe location).

Now (and contrary to what I had done a week or so ago in my long post above), I'm now keeping the Cache on my D[Data]:\ drive at D:\Wualafiles\ This is NOT a 'shared' folder in the WHS sense, but since making this move, I have had ZERO WHS Warnings about the drives (which I had been getting 3-5 times per day when I had the Wuala cache in my formal WHS Shares visible in the console.

Finally, I think the Cache size should be larger than the amount of data you have stored out in the Wuala cloud + the amount of others' files you have stored from the cloud (just a guess on my part). When my Cache was 5 GB and I tried to share 17GB of files out, Wuala kept telling me the cache was full and that it would upload files when the cache was freed up. I don't exactly know what this means, but since I have 1TB free, I just decided to make my Cache = 50GB for now. I think this works because Wuala must make an 'encrypted' version of every file you upoad (or chunks of files) and I beleive it first encrypts your files and stores them in the Cache before they are actually sent out to the cloud. This just allows the full encrypted version to exist on the machine so that encryption is not the bottleneck in the upload process.

USAComp3 & IndyLux --

I beleive the limit is 100GB earned per PC. But you can have Wuala installed on multiple PCs and earn 100GB on each (not that you necessarily want more PC's spinning the electric meter 24/7, but that's the current way to break the 100GB limit per PC) Otherwise, you can always buy more space.

100gb free limit per application install as greenawayj mentioned.

But you can buy extra storage that of course isnt limited.

You guys that run your media centers through virtualization, maybe you can install a few more os's and get wuala on each, lol.

What the cache is for, is that, before wuala uploads a file, it compresses and encrypts it. This is the data that is stored in your local cache.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Glad I was having pc issues and never installed this. Too bad Windows Live doesn't have a free add-in that works on the WHS.

Hey ITTOG -

From my view, I'm actually loving Wuala and after only minor annoyances followed by some minor experimentation, it's now working perfectly on my WHS... (and like I mentioned above, I love that can access and upload files using the Java Plugin from my work PC without needing to install anything on the company's PC).

Feel free to share any concerns you have if you're interested in the functionality Wuala delivers and secure offsite backup. As the guys mentioned on Thursday's show, maybe it's time to start a new thread on this to solidify the best way to get started with Wuala and address concerns? Generally, I'll defer to CookiePuss on "most things Wuala", but I'm happy to share my 2 cents as well.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I think all the problems with synching, file retreival, and setup have just made me leary. Your comment may be the first I have seen with Wuala and working perfectly in the same sentence. I guess I am not willing to be part of the beta right now. Virtualization is my focus right now but that could change tonight. :-)

I get your point. It was definitely not straighforward, but after figuring some things out and playing around a bit with how it works, I'm pretty content with the setup (with about 3+ weeks of use)

Does anyone know if I should be worried that my logs state that my data is stored only on a single host?
I thought, or rather assumed, that any of the data I'm uploading is stored on multiple host to ensure it's always available. Am I wrong here?