RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wuala by LaCie

I was more asking Chris actually. Didn't the interviewer say that the network speed was a determining factor in deciding what hosts to use?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• greenawayj

• CookiePuss

• IndyLux

Just listened to 74, a suggestion if youre not getting any data to your machine.

Go into options/connection and make sure that your connection type is A.

If it is not, make sure the appropriate port is forwarded on your whs firewall and your router.

Sorry, late to this conversation (been painting all weekend). My connection speed was an A connection but was at the 500/100 default. I just changed to down to 2000 and up to 1500 (based on a speed test) so we'll see if that helps. My online time keeps dropping and hovers around 75%. It's on 24/7 and I can't figure out why there would be any down time. Every time I check, it's status is online. I'm still waiting to get above 2 gigs local storage. Mike, you there? Any ideas?

Do you have the computer logged in 24/7? I don't think Wuala is set to run as service, so it only runs when you are logged in. My guess is that maybe after restarts it isn't logged in.

Interesting AJ. So what do I need to do to make sure it's always running? How do I stay 'logged in'. Surely I don't leave a remote session going right?

I just used the same regedit key that was needed in XP for the AutoAdminLogon so the server logs into a session when ever it is rebooted. Then when I "remote" into it via mesh, it just connects to that same session.

Hi greenawayj!

Hopefully I can help a little here.

1) WHS is just specialized software/services installed onto Windows 2003 server. I have installed a whole lot of things that isn't supported by WHS. However, to do so, you need to remote desktop into the server and do installs there, which a lot of people do not like to do. Its OK to install programs in their default directories.

2) What you're doing is fine, you can also RDP in and just make a folder in d:\shares\ manually so that it doesn't have to show up on shares. There is a downside to this with cache files, which probably wont matter to most who arent as neurotic about being "green" as I am lol.

For me, I do not want WHS to store cache files on different drives because the constant access keep the drives from going to sleep. Because I currently have 6 drives in my DIY server, and running all 6 costs some 30-40 watts, I try to control where the files are placed and not spread out by WHS demigrator.

Thanks.

1. Totally cool with RDPing in to install. Just hadn't yet installed anything that way. Good to know.

2. Thanks for this info. To be totally clear regarding the "being green" comment... Are you saying that if I had a separate drive mounted as a lettered drive (and not part of the WHS share pool), the more green approach would be to put the cache and Wuala shared storage files there so that my main drives could go to sleep from time to time and not be spun up when other Wuala users' attempt to access their files stored on my machine?