RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

need help w/major

texasPI

Hi guys....I'm hoping someone can give me ideas/opinions. Im 31 and just returned to college last year to pursue a degree. I have an interest in computer science/engineering or information technology programs. My school offers both. I suck at math and the engineering degree is basically a math major. Do you have any words of advice to help me decide?

I spent the last 12 years in the insurance industry so I could pursue a business degree and be ok. But my real passion is in computers and technology. My best friend has a masters in computer engineering and loves it and is well paid. My other buddy has a bachelors in IT and is kind of bored with his job. I'm just at a crossroads and don't want to have regrets later. On the other hand, I'm no spring chick and I need to finish school and get back to work and support my family. I'm ok financially since my wife has a good income and teaches at my school and a I get a greatly discounted tuition. I put her through 11 years of college for her Phd which is why I'm just starting now...so she owes me :)

Go with what interests you most. Sounds like you're all set up. That's great! Either way, we'll be happy to gain from your new found knowledge. :)

in the insurance industry

As a P.I. ?? :)

Seriously, try to do what you love. Engineering does involve a lot of math. Maybe you'd enjoy systems engineering (designing overall systems; which components, how they fit together, etc.).

As a P.I. ?? :)

Seriously, try to do what you love. Engineering does involve a lot of math. Maybe you'd enjoy systems engineering (designing overall systems; which components, how they fit together, etc.).

Actually, yes, I was a PI...how'd you guess? ;)

I'm just stressed about this...here I am a grown man trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I'm just stressed about this...here I am a grown man trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Yes, you're old. Ancient, in fact, by the standards of a teenager. :P

Seriously, I wouldn't stress about it. You're in great shape, from what you say. I'd say a significant number of people, maybe even a majority, would say they still don't know what they want to do. Or, maybe it's more like 'how can I get from this job to that one without having to eating mac and cheese 6 days a week.' You're in a great position to try something new. And maybe in another 12 years, it's back to school for something new once again. A lot of people would envy you for that. Enjoy the ride.

The question I would ask is what is it you want to do with a Computer Science degree? Very few IT positions require that sort of degree, a degree yes, but don't think you need that specific degree to work in the industry. Practical experience, the ability to think/troubleshoot, and common sense will carry you a long way.

The question I would ask is what is it you want to do with a Computer Science degree? Very few IT positions require that sort of degree, a degree yes, but don't think you need that specific degree to work in the industry. Practical experience, the ability to think/troubleshoot, and common sense will carry you a long way.

So true. Many times proficiency in project management will carry you a long way, particularly if you can translate between the users and the engineers.

I started out getting a Computer Engineering degree (at UF the hardware track = Electrical Engineering degree + 2 classes and the software track = Computer Science degree + 2 classes) then switched to Industrial & Systems Engineering because the bigger picture is much more my style.

Hi guys....I'm hoping someone can give me ideas/opinions. Im 31 and just returned to college last year to pursue a degree. I have an interest in computer science/engineering or information technology programs. My school offers both. I suck at math and the engineering degree is basically a math major. Do you have any words of advice to help me decide?

I spent the last 12 years in the insurance industry so I could pursue a business degree and be ok. But my real passion is in computers and technology. My best friend has a masters in computer engineering and loves it and is well paid. My other buddy has a bachelors in IT and is kind of bored with his job. I'm just at a crossroads and don't want to have regrets later. On the other hand, I'm no spring chick and I need to finish school and get back to work and support my family. I'm ok financially since my wife has a good income and teaches at my school and a I get a greatly discounted tuition. I put her through 11 years of college for her Phd which is why I'm just starting now...so she owes me :)

If math isn't your thing then you better stay away from an engineering degree. I am ChemE and each level of math you go up is significantly harder. Once you go from basic math (calculus) and move into engineering math, it is an order of magnitude harder. The good news is, you don't need the computer engineering degree to be in the industry you love.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest no-control

In all honesty the degree doesn't really matter for a lot of positions. It more of a check box item. If you're looking to go into IT a degree isn't going to help you very much what you really need is Certs. If you're looking to go into engineering a degree in a field helps but you'll need those years as an EIT and the test for a stamp to make any real pay jumps. If your not willing to master basic math (calculus) then you're screwed for just about any position as an engineer. Honestly based on what you said I would suggest you get some kind of Business Degree as it would apply to the widest range of jobs.

A lot employers and department heads (including myself) see the degree as just paper. College is overrated, but since high schools in this country blow so hard, we require BA/BS only to show you can write a letter correctly and have a grasp of basic language, math and science skills. Having a degree in engineering by no means makes you an engineer. I've hired plenty of architectural/engineering degree guys who couldn't design their way out of their cube.

Find a field that interests you go with it. Education is pointless if you have no interest in it.