RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Finally starting new main desktop computer build

ikon

My main desktop is getting pretty old now. One of the LAN ports is dead and the other is getting flaky, and there's no room for an add-in card. Time for a new system. Here's my list so far:

received: Lian-Li PC-V354 black case (thanks to pcdoc's review)

received: Corsair 750 AX Gold power supply

on order: Asus P8P67-M mATX motherboard

received: Intel i7-2600K CPU

received: Corsair H70 CPU cooler

received: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

received: Sapphire Radeon HD6970 2GB video card

on order: Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME Plus VGA Cooler for nVIDIA and ATI (to replace the stock Radeon cooler)

existing: Dell 3007WFP 30" monitor

existing: Dell U3011 30" monitor

existing: OCZ Revo 120GB PCIe SSD for system drive

existing: WD 2TB EARS green SATA drive for data

on order: ASUS 2X DB-ROM, EXTERNAL, SLIM , USB blu-ray reader

received: Vantec NexStar USB3 SATA drive dock

existing: Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 speaker system

existing: Standard USB keyboard

existing: Logitech Anywhere MX wireless mouse

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• Dude

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

My main desktop is getting pretty old now. One of the LAN ports is dead and the other is getting flaky, and there's no room for an add-in card. Time for a new system. Here's my list so far:

I thought you decided to go with the H50?

received: Lian-Li PC-V354 black case (thanks to pcdoc's review)

received: Corsair 750 AX Gold power supply

on order: Asus P8P67-M mATX motherboard

received: Intel i7-2600K CPU

received: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

received: Sapphire Radeon HD6970 2GB video card

on order: Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME Plus VGA Cooler for nVIDIA and ATI (to replace the stock Radeon cooler)

existing: Dell 3007WFP 30" monitor

existing: Dell U3011 30" monitor

existing: OCZ Revo 120GB PCIe SSD for system drive

existing: WD 2TB EARS green SATA drive for data

on order: ASUS 2X DB-ROM, EXTERNAL, SLIM , USB blu-ray reader

received: Vantec NexStar USB3 SATA drive dock

existing: Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 speaker system

existing: Standard USB keyboard

existing: Logitech Anywhere MX wireless mouse

Wow, nice system. This is quite a list and you will have one awesome system. One concern I have is where you are mounting the H70 inside V354. This is reasonalbly small case and things will get very tight and you may have some challenges putting this in there. The 354 is a beutiful case but it uses the power supply in front of the CPU design so it makes it a bit tight. Add to that the hugh radiator of the H70 and it might be a real challenge. If you can get it all in the case it will be a rockin system, but I would highly recommend you do some test fits first to see if this small form factor will be up to the task. I definitely want to see pictures of this build. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow, nice system. This is quite a list and you will have one awesome system. One concern I have is where you are mounting the H70 inside V354. This is reasonalbly small case and things will get very tight and you may have some challenges putting this in there. The 354 is a beutiful case but it uses the power supply in front of the CPU design so it makes it a bit tight. Add to that the hugh radiator of the H70 and it might be a real challenge. If you can get it all in the case it will be a rockin system, but I would highly recommend you do some test fits first to see if this small form factor will be up to the task. I definitely want to see pictures of this build. Good luck and keep us posted.

I've been thinking about this too. I'm pretty sure there's enough space between the PSU and the H70 fan spot, but I am a bit worried about the top fan. I may try a test fit even without the mobo in hand.

I've been thinking about this too. I'm pretty sure there's enough space between the PSU and the H70 fan spot, but I am a bit worried about the top fan. I may try a test fit even without the mobo in hand.

Good idea. You might be forced (or may want to) change to a slight larger case for this killer of a build before you go knee deep into it. I like this case for servers, general purpose, and HTPC's, but for a high end build like this I would think about something a bit larger to provide plenty of air flow. A little late in the game but not to late.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112249

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112308

First photos:

New_i7-2600K_A.jpg

Only the new stuff I've received so far: so no mobo or VGA cooler or Blu-ray. Also, none of the existing stuff, since it's still in use ;)

New_i7-2600K_B.jpg

I've opened the panel that the mobo attaches to rather than the normal one cause it made testing the fit more precise. As you can see I've got the PSU and H70 installed. I went with a modular PSU because I just couldn't imagine getting all the cables of a non-modular PSU stuffed inside with everything else. Close observers will notice the top fan is missing; not enough room for both the H70 and the top fan (at least on the inside; option is still there to attach the fan to the outside, but won't do that unlessthe extra air-flow is needed). Also, as you'll see, a very small mod was needed to get the H70 to fit.

New_i7-2600K_D.jpg

A closeup of the H70 in place. It actually fits pretty nicely above the PSU.

New_i7-2600K_E.jpg

From this view of the back you can see the small mod to fit the H70.

New_i7-2600K_F.jpg

So I had to drill 4 new holes because the H70's radiator holes couldn't line up with the existing ones in the case. A simple fix, especially since the case is aluminum.

I'll try to take more shots when the mobo arrives and I install it. I've already hand-held the HD6970 in place where it will be mounted and it seems to have plenty of room, so it's looking A-OK so far. :)

Good idea. You might be forced (or may want to) change to a slight larger case for this killer of a build before you go knee deep into it. I like this case for servers, general purpose, and HTPC's, but for a high end build like this I would think about something a bit larger to provide plenty of air flow. A little late in the game but not to late.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112249

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112308

I'm thinking and hoping that the two 120mm fans at the front and the 2 attached to the H70, plus the one in the PSU and the three 92mm in the VGA cooler will be enough. Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

I'm thinking and hoping that the two 120mm fans at the front and the 2 attached to the H70, plus the one in the PSU and the three 92mm in the VGA cooler will be enough. Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Now that is impressive. I see that you removed the top fan, good choice as it really does not do that much. Providing your motherboard clears the radiator you should be good to go. This is pretty awesome. I am impressed with the selection of many of you components and this will make an awesome system. Look forward to see the completed version once you get the motherboard in. Glad you got the H70 as the H50 is to tall and would have not cleared. Nice job and congrats. Keep us posted.

BTW, I really like this supply. I have never used the AX before but it is now on my list. Good choice.