RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing up router config settings

joem

I was listening to a BYOB show and they mentioned saving the router settings after you get it configured the way you want it, which I have always done myself. The question is this. If you upgrade the firmware on your router can you restore your settings using the backup config file from the previous firmware version of the router? Just a little additional information here also. Router manufacturers recommend that you reset your router to factory default settings before upgrading the firmware. Thanks for your anticipated answer.

I was listening to a BYOB show and they mentioned saving the router settings after you get it configured the way you want it, which I have always done myself. The question is this. If you upgrade the firmware on your router can you restore your settings using the backup config file from the previous firmware version of the router? Just a little additional information here also. Router manufacturers recommend that you reset your router to factory default settings before upgrading the firmware. Thanks for your anticipated answer.

re: restoring settings after firmware upgrade >> it varies from model to model. You should check for your router first.

re: reset to defaults before upgrade >> I've never seen this on any I've used but it's possible some do. In any case, make sure you have the settings recorded somewhere before upgrading.

PS: some routers do not allow settings from one router to be restored to another one of the exact same make/model; they link the backup settings to the MAC address. This can be a real pain when you have a couple dozen identical routers to configure.

Regarding the MAC address. I don't believe the MAC address on the router changes with a firmware upgrade.

Regarding the MAC address. I don't believe the MAC address on the router changes with a firmware upgrade.

If I gave that impression I'm sorry. No, the MAC address does not change. What I was trying to say is that some routers include the MAC address of the router in the backup and will only allow you to restore that backup to the router with the matching MAC address.

There should be no issues restoring your settings after a firmware upgrade as that is basically what it for. You should only do this on the same unit or model number as was stated otherwise no problem. When I use a router I used to do it all the time as I always upgrade my firmware on everything.