RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Black WHS2011

Hawnted

I am putting together a list of what I have and need for my 2011 build. I have two WD 1TB Black drives (FALS) for storage and two 160gb Seagate 7200RPM laptop drives I am going to put in an icydock Raid 1 for the OS. Most people on here seem to use the Green drives for storage. Is it worth it for me to go out and buy green drives to replace the black? How much power/heat/noise savings are we talking? I hate to go out and buy a 2TB green drive to save 2 cents on my power bill.

Someone else can chime in but I think if two drives is all we are talking about, you will not see enough savings to make a difference. The question is how long would it take to recoup the cost of two new drives......versus using two existing really good drives. For my two cents worth, I'd use the Blacks.

If you were talking 10 or so drives, then I think we have a different story. BTW , I see the IcyDock adapter is now down to $65 on certain sites...no rebate.

Stick with what you got. Two drives will not be much in terms of power however they do run pretty hot so make sure they are well ventilated. Not worth the upgrade as these are awesome drives. Most people use Green because as jmwills stated, many are putting in numberous drives. I have 10 drives + 2 laptop drives for the OS and I would not want them to blacks even if my box has 6 120mm fans in it.

Not to mention there is a lot of posts here and on other forums about what POS the greens are. I wouldn't want those in my server. If the manufacuterer downgrades the drives and calls them green, that is all you need to know that they are not reliable.

I am putting together a list of what I have and need for my 2011 build. I have two WD 1TB Black drives (FALS) for storage and two 160gb Seagate 7200RPM laptop drives I am going to put in an icydock Raid 1 for the OS. Most people on here seem to use the Green drives for storage. Is it worth it for me to go out and buy green drives to replace the black? How much power/heat/noise savings are we talking? I hate to go out and buy a 2TB green drive to save 2 cents on my power bill.

I'm no longer buying WD Green; they've been some of the most unreliable drives I've had in years. I'm keeping the ones I've got going, but I have to keep an eye out on them. It's the main reason I like StableBit Scanner so much.

Guest no-control

Odd

I've owned Green drives since the first 500GB drives and haven't had a single failure. Are the failures due to harsh environments or what?

I cant speak for all the green drives but I have own 4 of the 2TB EADS models and have had to RMA 3 of them in less then a year. This is either a quality issue with the drives or an issue with Newegg's shipping methods at the time.

Edited by Lurker

Odd

I've owned Green drives since the first 500GB drives and haven't had a single failure. Are the failures due to harsh environments or what?

Mine aren't in a harsh environment. They just seem to develop issues more frequently. I haven't had any full failures, but, I do monitor them often and take remedial action when they exhibit problems. Other drives I have in the same environment don't exhibit issues anywhere near as much.

I've been buying Green drives for various projects, and I haven't had a problem yet. I can't speak to the EADS drives, but the EARS drives have been excellent to date.