RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CPU to use

Kman

Well like everyone I have been really thinking about my WHS2011 build and have an E6700 that someone gave me.

Will this CPU be enough to run a WHS2011 without problem? As I don't have a Motherboard I’m not sure if it's worth building around this CPU or just move all the way up to the new Sandybridge stuff.

I would like to be able maybe run in VM but does not have to.

With everyone around here having new portable devices I would really like to see what type of transcoding on the fly can be done. This is the part the worries me.

For me putting a little extra now just so I don't have to replace things later after more and more date is on it would be better as the more date I collect the harder it is to be fully backed up for videos and stuff all critical data ia always safe

Also I would like to have USB3 but I could just add a card for under $30 for this part of the build.

My current WHSv1 is build on an E5200 and have not really had any problems

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions

If all you have is the CPU, then I'd set it aside and start from scratch. If you have a MicroCenter nearby, they have a great deal on a new SandyBridge Core i3 and a free motherboard. The reason I say this is a Home Server will be a longtime product in your home. If you need to fix something or replace a part, you're better off starting with current mainstream components.

Guest no-control

start from scratch:

1. You'll spend more buying old components vs. buying new
  2. Servers (usually) are long term products and as such are easier to upgrade and repair with newer parts that have a longer time before being replaced
  3. New parts have warranties
  4. The i3 will spank any C2D and do it cooler, quieter and use less power