RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
fredload

You need permission to perform this action - Error message

fredload

I need a little help here. I keep getting the "You need permission to perform this action" error message when I try to access my folders or make changes to any files on my server. I am sure it is something very simple, but I can't figure it out. My user name and password on my PC match my servers, and it looks like everything is setup correctly in the user accounts settings on the server. The Logon name is the same and all files are set to full. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong? I am running HS Ver 1 and Windows 7 professional. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lurker

I need a little help here. I keep getting the "You need permission to perform this action" error message when I try to access my folders or make changes to any files on my server. I am sure it is something very simple, but I can't figure it out. My user name and password on my PC match my servers, and it looks like everything is setup correctly in the user accounts settings on the server. The Logon name is the same and all files are set to full. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong? I am running HS Ver 1 and Windows 7 professional. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have had this problem after making some changes to user accounts. Have you tried rebooting the server and the client computers?

diehard

Yeah, it usually says that changes will take effect during th next login

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Another solution I have read is to change your passwords.

fredload

Ok, I have rebooted both machines with no luck. I then deleted my user account and re-entered with no luck. Then I changed all the passwords with no luck. I am really at a loss! Is there something I am missing? My user accounts match and have the same password, but when I try and add a folder, transfer a file I get the "You need permission to perform this action". Any other ideas for me?

mrossco

Are you looking at file permissions in the properties dialog or share permissions in the WHS console? Know that your accounts need permissions in both for everything to work.

fredload

Are you looking at file permissions in the properties dialog or share permissions in the WHS console? Know that your accounts need permissions in both for everything to work.

I am looking in the WHS console under user accounts and in the console under shared folders. All are checked for full access. Is there somewhere else I need check?

jmwills

There is one more place to verify the permissions are in check. Notice up front....if you do not know the difference between Share Permissions and Security Permissions..DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES....DISCLAIMER UP FRONT.

Remote into the Server and go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management Applet

Go to Shared Folders>Shares and there you will see all the shares created by the Console.

Go to the one you are having problems with. Right Click>Properties. Share Permissions Should be Set Full for the users with Access. Without this permission you cannot even see the Share.

Now look at the Security Permissions. These values give users and or groups specific rights within the folder. You should see two entries that say "RO..." and "RW..." This stands for Read Only and Read Write. When you created your account and selected the folders users had access rights to, these were the Groups those Users were placed in.

Now under Local Users and Groups, find the Group that matches the access rights for the Share and you should see your account in that group. If not, then add it.

AGAIN, if you feel uncomfortable doing this...DON'T. This is the reason the Console was created, to simply this step.

fredload

There is one more place to verify the permissions are in check. Notice up front....if you do not know the difference between Share Permissions and Security Permissions..DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES....DISCLAIMER UP FRONT.

Remote into the Server and go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management Applet

Go to Shared Folders>Shares and there you will see all the shares created by the Console.

Go to the one you are having problems with. Right Click>Properties. Share Permissions Should be Set Full for the users with Access. Without this permission you cannot even see the Share.

Now look at the Security Permissions. These values give users and or groups specific rights within the folder. You should see two entries that say "RO..." and "RW..." This stands for Read Only and Read Write. When you created your account and selected the folders users had access rights to, these were the Groups those Users were placed in.

Now under Local Users and Groups, find the Group that matches the access rights for the Share and you should see your account in that group. If not, then add it.

AGAIN, if you feel uncomfortable doing this...DON'T. This is the reason the Console was created, to simply this step.

Ok, I did the remote desktop and was able to see my username in the share permissions. And all was set to allow. When I go into share permissions and right click on a folder my user name is listed with all boxes checked allow. When I go into security I do not see my user name listed. But I will be honest, this is a little over my head. I am not 100% what I am looking for. Should my user name show in the security tab? The RW boxes are all checked allow and the RO boxes only three are checked allow "Read and Execute", "List folder contents", and "Read" are checked. When I go into Users and Groups I don't see anything that matches my user name, but I am not really sure what to look for. Any more guidance would be appreciated. I really do appreciate the help. Thanks

jmwills

Your username will be "nested" inside the Group that has been given access to the Share. In your case it just might be easier to remove your account and put it back in.

You can go the the D Drive, then to Shares and there you will see all the shared folders created by the console. Right Click the folder you cannot access and go to properties. You will see the two groups that were given access. One will be RO_* and RW_* where * is the drive mapping of the share.

Now go back to the Computer Management applet in the Control Panel>Admin Tools and find that Group and see if your user account is in the RW Group for the shared folder in question.

have

Example: You a shared folder named Software. Two users named Bill and Joe. Bill has full rights and Joe has read rights. Both users will be in the Security Permissions by default, the access to work within the folder comes with the Security permissions. In this case, Bill will be in the RW (Read Write) Group and Joe will be in the RO (Read Only) Group.

If this is a little daunting, then just restore your client machine to a point in time before this all started. Is this a case from multiple clients or just one. If multiple clients, then its an issue with the account, if just one client, its the client machine.