RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Auto-delete recordings in WHS

eagle63

Hey guys, I've got a win media center box hooked up to my WHS (version 1) using the "archive" feature, which automatically moves all my recordings to the WHS. So far it's working great, but something it doesn't do is delete/expire old recordings. So over time, it just keeps filling up the "recorded tv" folder in my WHS.

Has anyone found a way to have recordings automatically expire? I suppose I could always write a small .bat script to do this, but before I try that I'd love to know if there's an official way to handle this or if anyone else has found a solution. Thanks!

Most people don't want stuff deleted off their servers "automatically".

Maybe the Recorded TV Manager would do some of what you want?

You might also check out this lifehacker article.

Edited by cskenney
added link to lifehacker

Most people don't want stuff deleted off their servers "automatically".

Maybe the Recorded TV Manager would do some of what you want?

You might also check out this lifehacker article.

True, but this is kind of a special case in that the recorded TV folder is really an extension of the DVR's storage, and DVR's aren't meant to keep shows around forever. I'm aware of Recorded TV Manager, and while it looks like a very nice piece of software, it's really overkill for my needs. That auto-delete utility you linked to tho looks like it might do the trick, thnx. I suppose it goes without saying that using something like that wouldn't be considered a best practice? Still, I'm not really sure what the risk would be in using it...

Edited by eagle63

From what I understand, once the files are moved, MC doesn't following the regular delete rules on stuff.

Just an update: the "auto-delete" utility won't work because I believe it's looking at the modified date on the file to know which files are too old. As WHS does it's drive balancing stuff, I think it messes with those dates. At least it is for me, because I've got recorded TV shows that are 4 months old but have a modified date of only 2 weeks ago.

So what I ended up doing is just writing my own little .bat script which parses the date out of the file name, and then if it's older than a certain threshold it deletes it. I schedule it using the windows task scheduler to run nightly. It's a little crude and not very fancy, but I really just need a way to make sure recordings eventually get culled so I don't fill up my WHS. (and I don't want to have manually delete recordings) If anyone's interested I can send them the .bat file, just PM me.