RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Graphics Card for WHS 2011

PJDev

I'm getting ready to build my WHS 2011 box and I was wondering if the server would benefit from a graphics card. I will have a big Raid 5 drive for my Blu-ray collection and plan to stream these to a HTPC. It would be nice to be able to rip the Blu-ray discs on the server, but it is not necessary.

right now I'm looking at:

i3 2100 Sandy Bridge

MSI H67MA-E45

4 Gig DDR3

8 x 2Tb Samsung Spinpoints

HighPoint RocketRAID 2680

The board only has one x16 pci slot and the raid card is a x4. Should I change motherboards?

Edited by PJDev

I'm getting ready to build my WHS 2011 box and I was wondering if the server would benefit from a graphics card. I will have a big Raid 5 drive for my Blu-ray collection and plan to stream these to a HTPC. It would be nice to be able to rip the Blu-ray discs on the server, but it is not necessary.

right now I'm looking at:

i3 2100 Sandy Bridge

MSI H67MA-E45

4 Gig DDR3

8 x 2Tb Samsung Spinpoints

THe short answer is absolutely not. There is absolutely no gain fromm a video card on WHS and does not effect whether or not you rip BD. Ripping is I/O and CPU based. The only other comment is consider using green drives. The RAID configuration you are using is incredibly quick so unless you are running some web services or database, you will not benefit for the extra power draw. Just my two cents. Otherwise, great system and look forward to hearing how it turns out.

THe short answer is absolutely not. There is absolutely no gain fromm a video card on WHS and does not effect whether or not you rip BD. Ripping is I/O and CPU based. The only other comment is consider using green drives. The RAID configuration you are using is incredibly quick so unless you are running some web services or database, you will not benefit for the extra power draw. Just my two cents. Otherwise, great system and look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply PCDoc. What are you using to rip your BDs? I tried DVDFab last night on the i3 SB and it would just sit there. I switched over to my Q6600, GTS 250 and it ripped in 38 minutes. I figured it was the lack of a GC.

Thanks for the reply PCDoc. What are you using to rip your BDs? I tried DVDFab last night on the i3 SB and it would just sit there. I switched over to my Q6600, GTS 250 and it ripped in 38 minutes. I figured it was the lack of a GC.

The main issue with ripping BD is not processing (unless you are recoding to a lower bit rate or changing the format) but usually the speed of the ripper. Most are locked at 2.3x so the average time for ripping is about what you are getting. The only way to speed things up is to have a faster BD drive with modified firmware (such as the lighton units) so that data can be extracted faster. You are only as fast as your weakest link.

The main issue with ripping BD is not processing (unless you are recoding to a lower bit rate or changing the format) but usually the speed of the ripper. Most are locked at 2.3x so the average time for ripping is about what you are getting. The only way to speed things up is to have a faster BD drive with modified firmware (such as the lighton units) so that data can be extracted faster. You are only as fast as your weakest link.

@pcdoc

You have peaked my interest. ;-) It is possible to tweak the LiteOn BD to read faster?? Do you know which model and where I might find the hacked firmware??? Have you tried this?? How fast are the modified read speeds??

Thanks!

This may be a bit graphic but should be worth it.

I wonder if there is a way we could get pcdoc to take a brain/mind dump right here on the forums. If that is possible, I am sure the rest of us would live to roll around in it and possibly even consume enough of it that it makes us sick. It seems he has so much to share it would be a very large dump, enough that all of us could play around in it at once and there would be enough for all. Most of us wouldn't even feel the need to shower after playing around in it.

Holy crap man, you have a lot of information to get out.

I wonder if there is a way we could get pcdoc to take a brain/mind dump right here on the forums.

That is a great idea.

Here is the drive I have. Caught it on sale for $59. I have heard that it is locked down.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136183

I was able to rip the BD on my new i3 system tonight. I'm not sure why it would rip that last time I tried. :unsure:

@pcdoc

You have peaked my interest. ;-) It is possible to tweak the LiteOn BD to read faster?? Do you know which model and where I might find the hacked firmware??? Have you tried this?? How fast are the modified read speeds??

Thanks!

Yes there is. The model famous for this is the iHes208 which Newegg and Amazon sell. I posted a link below on how to do it. It a couple of steps but easy enough to do. You can basically make rip at 8x. I have a fried who just did 3 of them, and I just bought the units and have not done it but will shortly. Other projects got in the way. It is a fairly common practice in that community. OEM's are ripping off the public certainly in the interest of hosing the movies ripping guys. Imagine my surprise when I bought a $250 top of line pioneer that is rated at 8x dual layer only to find I can not get to to faster that 2.3.

http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

http://club.myce.com/f61/mediacodespeededit-tool-dvd-writers-114269/

This may be a bit graphic but should be worth it.

I wonder if there is a way we could get pcdoc to take a brain/mind dump right here on the forums. If that is possible, I am sure the rest of us would live to roll around in it and possibly even consume enough of it that it makes us sick. It seems he has so much to share it would be a very large dump, enough that all of us could play around in it at once and there would be enough for all. Most of us wouldn't even feel the need to shower after playing around in it.

Holy crap man, you have a lot of information to get out.

Thanks but that is rumor I started....

Yes there is. The model famous for this is the iHes208 which Newegg and Amazon sell. I posted a link below on how to do it. It a couple of steps but easy enough to do. You can basically make rip at 8x. I have a fried who just did 3 of them, and I just bought the units and have not done it but will shortly. Other projects got in the way. It is a fairly common practice in that community. OEM's are ripping off the public certainly in the interest of hosing the movies ripping guys. Imagine my surprise when I bought a $250 top of line pioneer that is rated at 8x dual layer only to find I can not get to to faster that 2.3.

http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

http://club.myce.com...writers-114269/

Thanks but that is rumor I started....

Thanks! Doc!

I might even try this on my current LG drive. Ill read through the info and see if it is possible.

Thanks! Doc!

I might even try this on my current LG drive. Ill read through the info and see if it is possible.

There are many supported drives and having compared rip times with my buddy, I know it will make a real difference. I am also going to do this later today. This topic has re-inspired the desire to make that process faster.