RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home server or Hardware issue

Gadgmeister

Hi Guys
my Home Server has been fine and Dandy since its installation but tonight when i got home from work i discovered WHS was reporting backup failures, when i opened the WHS front end on my desktop it showed one of my 500Gb sata drives had died , i instigated a restart from within WHS and the other 500Gb sata drive died , this was not good, WHS was reporting disk failures on both drives

the WHS machine has 4 drives in total 2 x 500Gb sata, 1 x 320Gb pata and 1 x 80Gb pata so we were just about keeping our data on the remaining Pata drives

after finishing some web work tonight i instigated a shut down on the WHS so i could take a look at the drives, everything looked fine there is NO heat build up nor is there freezing cold weather or any sign of damp evident ?? i mamualy started the machine and went back onto my main Pc to see what if anything had changed ... everything was perfect ?? all the drives report normal and healthy ??

can anyone explain what may have happened , is WHS prone to getting confused , did my sata controller die briefly ??? i am a little confused and very relieved they have started again and are reporting healthy

your comments are most welcome on this guys as ever

I have never seen WHS become flaky in of itself, but I did run into a clash with the backup program whcih was casuse by a client based program. In terms of what you are reporting, I would watch that hardware closely, you may be loosing a controler. As an idea for process of elimination, try re-seating or replacing your sata cables, and if your sata controller is an external, reseat that as well and keep any eye on it. Let us know what you find.

Gadgmeister - I have seen that before on my WHS. My set up is very similar to yours except my dual 500 GB drives are external. Sometimes when we have power issues and one of the external drives gets shut down, the others start acting like there are major hardware problems and it gets really scary. Usually I just power down the box, power up the external drives and then the server and everything goes back to normal. I don't have an answer as to why, just to confirm that you are not alone.

I would agree with pcdoc in the fact that you might be seeing the start of some kind of hardware failure. I would keep a close eye on the box for a week or two. Or, it could have just been a fluke and you have nothing to worry about. Fun eh?

A good question is, are you backing up your WHS folders to something else? Redundancy only works if you actually have the "file" in two different places, not just two different drives on the same box. What is your plan there? I use a 1TB ioSafe to backup everything. Works well for me.

So when does it end? If you feel you need to back up the backup, then why not backup the backup of the backup. Personally if you have one backup it is plenty. HOw many times in life do you really experience double jeopardy? I am only 36, but have never experienced it. If you store files directly on the server then enable duplication if it is important. Otherwise nothing extra is needed.

Guest no-control

Off site is an important caveat....I've had my home broken into the stole my PC and my Server and my external drives. So I pretty much lost everything. Thankfully about half of it was recoverable from friends, family and my external drives I happened to take to work that day.

I'm now paranoid. I have things stored all over the place. I have jump drives with scans of important things like tax documents, marriage certs, birth certs, SSN, etc...I have HDDs with pictures, docs, home vids, MKV clip of me detailing every item of value or significance for insurance. Also have a WHS backup on the drive as well. Keep'em stored in a safe offsite.

Duplication only prevents against HDD failure and possible user error. Does not protect against fire, theft, flood, tornader scattering bits across the countryside or other "Acts of God"

no-control,

I like that last line. It's like what you would hear from a insurance saleman. cute.

I don't use folder duplication except for 1 small folder. I don't want to reduce my storage by 1/2. I have the original on the PC, that should sufice. I prefer the shares backup option to an internal drive (faster transfer speed) then remove the drive. Hide it in the house or take it off site using a 2 drive rotation.

I'm not big on cloud storage, I find I use to much bandwith. It is less work than transporting drives around, but just not really my thing. But I will test different solutions out so I can contribute here.

And if your PC crashes it's not a good time to do a server recovery. Been there, done that, learnt the hard way.

John (homeservershow).

Gadgmeister - I've seen my server get 'confused' when I disconnected my external eSATA while the server was powered off. When I turned it back on, the health light was red and the system drive was (can't remember which for sure) either blinking blue or it was off completely. When I reattached the eSATA, the system drive light-bar turned solid blue, as did the health light.

Re: server config - Folder dup is off for everything. I back up to an external 1.5 TB eSATA sitting in a toaster. I like not having the backup drive inside my server, where it would be running and adding more heat. Basically it just sits in the toaster, powered off, between backups. And when I need the toaster for something else, I just slip the 1.5 TB into a static bag until I can stick it back in the toaster -> Thermaltake BLACX.