RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LAN Question

texasPI

Ok simple question. How can I test the speed of my network? Is there a program I can run to see what kind of write/read speeds I'm getting across my network?

Also, my network is all GbE except for a switch (100Mbps) I have connected to my satellite receiver. Does the overall speed of my network get limited to the speed of this lower speed switch?

If all devices pass thru that 100 Mbps switch then yes. The slowest segment on your LAN determines the speed.

If all devices pass thru that 100 Mbps switch then yes. The slowest segment on your LAN determines the speed.

Ok, I should have clarified more. This 100mbps switch is connected to one of the ports on my router which are GbE. All my devices connect to the router as the main switch.

Then the would be gigabit speed. Would only step down to 100 if one of the points was on the 100 mb/s switch.

Ok simple question. How can I test the speed of my network? Is there a program I can run to see what kind of write/read speeds I'm getting across my network?

LAN Speed Test (free version) LAN Speed Test v1.x

Sends a file size whatever (default is 100MB) from the system the program is run to another system of your choice on your LAN, then clears the cache and reads it back. Simple and effective. Only 70KB or so.

My result was 11.1 Mbps. I have a pitiful 6 meg ATT DSL connection with a 1GB switch.

The test went from my wireless laptop to my server. My wireless router is 802.11 g

if I remember correctly? Does this seem like a reasonable result?

Then the would be gigabit speed. Would only step down to 100 if one of the points was on the 100 mb/s switch.

SO if I understand you correctly, lets say my desktop and WHS connected via gigabit NICs to the gigabit ports on the router would operate at gigabit speeds even if the 100mbps switch is connected to another port on that same router but not between any of the gigabit clients? I think I understand.

LAN Speed Test (free version) LAN Speed Test v1.x

Sends a file size whatever (default is 100MB) from the system the program is run to another system of your choice on your LAN, then clears the cache and reads it back. Simple and effective. Only 70KB or so.

Thanks! Apparently I had downloaded this before and forgot about it. When I tried to download it again I was told it already exists in my download directory. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I ran a test and got the following writing 2gb between desktop and WHS connected via wired gigabit connection:

Write: 662 Mbps

Reading: 258 Mbps

I would have thought the opposite would be true in that reading would be faster than writing... :blink:

My result was 11.1 Mbps. I have a pitiful 6 meg ATT DSL connection with a 1GB switch.

The test went from my wireless laptop to my server. My wireless router is 802.11 g

if I remember correctly? Does this seem like a reasonable result?

In this case I do not believe your internet speed has any relevance. From your post above, it seems your router is the limiting factor in that "G" only has a max of 54Mbps.

At least that is my understanding but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong... :lol:

EDIT: Ok, I ran a wireless test between my laptop and WHS. My laptop had built-in N @ 2.4ghz and my router is actually dual band but I have it operating in mixed mode because my iphone and droid incredible are "g" only.

This was the result:

Write: 74 Mbps

Read: Program didn't complete the test, so don't know.

Edited by texasPI

The best test for internal speeds is with large files. If you use small files, the program actually has to open and close every file it encounters which an inaccurate number. Try some DVD burns and see what you get.

SO if I understand you correctly, lets say my desktop and WHS connected via gigabit NICs to the gigabit ports on the router would operate at gigabit speeds even if the 100mbps switch is connected to another port on that same router but not between any of the gigabit clients? I think I understand.

Correct.