RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

One Client Is Having Issues

rpudner

I am looking for some advice, I have an HP EX487 with 3 clients, a main mediacenter in my lounge, a second PC in the kitchen and a laptop. The main PC is having issues with the server, a few days ago I kept getting a message the password on the server and PC did not match, I had not changed anything, I tried to change the passwords using the box that pops up, and by manual change, but no joy, in the end I changed the user name on the PC and added this new user to the server, this cleared up this issue, now HP media colector will not run, even though the connectivity check passes. I also have problems that the TV archive has not run on this PC for ages with( the kitchen PC is ok. My question is , What would I need to change on the problem PC to get the server to see it as a new client, and so hopefuly sort out my issues, would changing its name be enough or would the network card MAC address override this?

The client is recognized by hostname so changing it should be enough. Remove the "first client" retain the backups; rename the client and then rejoin. Stay away from making multiple non-related changes at a time.

Edit: After thinking about this, I believe the server is also applying an identifier to the client. Not sure how this is being done, possibly a SID (32 bit ID) so you could just remove the client, save the backups on the server, keep the same host name, and rejoin the client back to the server.

You should now see two clients with the same host name, but will will appear to be greyed out / offline. The one online is your current machine. Run a full backup and hopefully all will be good.