RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 128, What do you think ?

diehard

Nothing to exciting this week,

We finally part with the Drobo live on the show. Mario Blandini from Drobo also drops by and gives us a few hints of what he is up to. Lets just say he is in an airport heading to Microsoft land with discussions about Windows Home Server. It’s a short interview but WHS fans will not want to miss it! We also discuss my dead Windows Home Server and how it was resurrected.

Drive Bender out monday

Disk Keeper for WHS 2011

SageTV new beta

WHS Trigger Add-In

Remote Alert Add-In

WHS Folding Add-In

Sean Daniel goes over KeepVault for WHS

Dave’s Dead Server

Get this links here http://homeservershow.com/the-home-server-show-128.html

What do you think of this weeks podcast ?

I liked the protein folding aspect. I've actually done some basic folding work in the laboratory (more of a glorified 'how-to') but the idea is really neat. If you don't know, proteins tend to have a low-energy state that they tend to fold into at normal body temperature. The process is complicated by post-translational modification and the fact that the protein does not fold all at once but actively as it is encoded amino acid by amino acid. Folding programs are actually very advanced at this point and can run the nearly infinite possible shapes of natural and synthetic molecules to find things like their natural shape, function, catalytic regions, and even interactions with other molecules or substrates. I'm sure super-computers can do the lion share of the folding needed, but I wouldn't mind lending some cycles to the cause.

I used to allow my PC to do protein folding as well. The PS3 at one point also did it at one point years ago and I installed it and let it run, but have stopped using if, if it's even still installed.

Funny you brought up the Perfect Disk podcast episode. It was the 1st HSS Podcast I ever listened to. The explanation from Perfect Disk blew my mind and took 4 or 5 play thoughts to barely understand what it was he was explaining. A few days later I bought a copy of Perfect Disk, tried convincing my mother (financial department) to buy a home server for her books (she's and author) but failed. Entered the WGS Perfect Disk HP LX195 giveaway, and with my recent purchase and rave review I won the HP LX195. A few weeks later I excitedly brought over my parents new LX195 with an external usb HD to enable duplication down to their home. WHS has made my dads life (dealing with my mother's irrational demands for book storage/backups)many times better, Perfect Disk stopped my EX487 from stuttering every hour when DEmigrator ran making me extremely happy, my mother feels secure knowing her books are backup up hourly and backed up to the cloud...and all of this started with your interview of Perfect Disk.

Well have a good night, thought you might get a kick out of what seemed like a meaningless reference to Perfect Disk reminded me of.

I use to have all the PC's in my house do folding and when they came out with the video card version we really started moving up the rankings. At one point we got a pretty good ranking, but after loading Win7, I decided not to reload it. It was giving us some issues and of course the PC's would never go to sleep.

Used to fold, then moved to laptop based computing, and well not going to fold on a laptop.

Thanks for the feedback on the Folding projects guys! I get that "you are crazy" look whenever I talk about it. Maybe we need to form our own group and get some cycles counted?

Thanks for the feedback on the Folding projects guys! I get that "you are crazy" look whenever I talk about it. Maybe we need to form our own group and get some cycles counted?

I ran SETI @ home years ago, before BOINC even existed. I also ran the climate modeling project for a while (can't remember its name). Haven't run either of them in a long time now.

Diehard

re:

Dave’s Dead Server

It would be great if you could do a write up of how to migrate your V1 server to a new box.

I listened to this a few times but am still unsure of the best path.

I dont have a HP WHS so some of your commentary through me a bit.

I am running some pretty old hardware in my server and would like to move to a better setup, just not sure of the right update path.

I was hoping to just take all the existing drives and dump them in a new box, but I gather this is not an option.

I guess it is different for every configuration, however, I am just trying to avoid the cost of buying a bunch of new HDs and an external enclosure to migrate to a different hardware (Mobo and CPU)

Regards

Heh, i started with RC5, then moved to F@H. Was on the 2CPU team back in the day (about ten years ago, give or take): http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=13183 for my last time around with F@H, probably seven years ago.

I even bought my first Apple since my Apple 2e days (128KB RAM - and the Duo Disk drive!), a dual 800MHz G4 just because of Altivec and it's 128 bit math coprocessor. I was king of the RC5 crunching and then F@H briefly with that dual cpu beast.

The hulk of it still sits in my garage. I really should repurpose that case...