RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible RTM soon?

Mastiha

SBS 2011 has been released so much of the work has been accomplished. Essentials and WHS 2011 cannot be far behind.

Come to papa, I am ready server in hand...

Now the parts questions will start coming. I like the setup of this build and it may make me change my mind...

I had planned on using a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 because I like the 7 SATA ports but would like to go with the new Sandy Bridge i3. The problem is the MBs I like, GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 and Asus P8H67-M PRO/CSM only have 6 total ports. I do plan on using the Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S for the OS and a RocketRaid 2680 for Media and two 2TB drives in Raid 1 for photos / music / software etc. and a DVD drive which really is only 4 SATA ports being used.

Which would you choose? Benefits of either?

If it were me, I would go with the GA-H55M-USB3 board and utilize the on-board RAID. You are not really going to pickup that much with the SB board; some power savings yes but performance, ????? It's a server. However the SB board does have 6 SATA ports and if you use one for the OS (Icy Docked) and one for the DVD, you still have four left and at 4x2TB you will still yield approx 6TB in a RAID 5 which sounds like it works for you.

"Icy Docked"......I think I made up a new term.

If you have twins does that mean you Icy Docked your kids?

Guest no-control

and one for the DVD,

Sir why are you suggesting that this should be in a server?

sacrilege!

DVD drives go on USB! tongue.gif

Now the parts questions will start coming. I like the setup of this build and it may make me change my mind...

I had planned on using a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 because I like the 7 SATA ports but would like to go with the new Sandy Bridge i3. The problem is the MBs I like, GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 and Asus P8H67-M PRO/CSM only have 6 total ports. I do plan on using the Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S for the OS and a RocketRaid 2680 for Media and two 2TB drives in Raid 1 for photos / music / software etc. and a DVD drive which really is only 4 SATA ports being used.

Which would you choose? Benefits of either?

My two cents. Use the icydock for the OS, your 2650 for only RAID 5 so you have the reduncy. and use the motherboard controllers for the single drive data and backup. Flexible, safe, and fast.

If it were me, I would go with the GA-H55M-USB3 board and utilize the on-board RAID. You are not really going to pickup that much with the SB board; some power savings yes but performance, ????? It's a server. However the SB board does have 6 SATA ports and if you use one for the OS (Icy Docked) and one for the DVD, you still have four left and at 4x2TB you will still yield approx 6TB in a RAID 5 which sounds like it works for you.

My opinion, add the card, id will srvice you in much better ways and mnot add much cost to you build.

My two cents. Use the icydock for the OS, your 2650 for only RAID 5 so you have the reduncy. and use the motherboard controllers for the single drive data and backup. Flexible, safe, and fast.

My opinion, add the card, id will srvice you in much better ways and mnot add much cost to you build.

In regards to the 2650...probably a better option than the 2680 as I was only going to use 5 frives. To backup the data on the RAID controller could I potentially add another 2650 and copy the data to that drive? I would have my video data on and it is cheaper for me to copy the data versus reloading the data from 400+ DVDs. How would you back this data up?