RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 System Disk Restore

ferraris

Hi all,

I'm a 3 year WHS owner (currently with 6x2TB drives)& regular podcast listener and planning a hardware upgrade and 2011 installation.

I've not seen anywhere how system restores are handled in 2011. Is it just a case of unplugging all the drives except for the system disk, booting and reinstalling with a restore disk? When the drives are then plugged back in are they then added as storage automatically with no loss of data?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi all,

I'm a 3 year WHS owner (currently with 6x2TB drives)& regular podcast listener and planning a hardware upgrade and 2011 installation.

I've not seen anywhere how system restores are handled in 2011. Is it just a case of unplugging all the drives except for the system disk, booting and reinstalling with a restore disk? When the drives are then plugged back in are they then added as storage automatically with no loss of data?

Thanks,

Simon

Sort of. You can restore you system without affecting the data even if you do a fresh install. WHS 2011 only attacks the primary drive and as long as you are not storing data on your primary drive, you are safe. Remember there is no pool, so an install/restore is the same as with a Win 7 PC. It only messes with you OS drive not you data unlike V1.

The main reason for asking is that I thought 2011 needed to reformat drives before they'd be used as storage so I take that this wouldn't be required if you were restoring the system drive?

So I could install the RC now, transfer over the data and then fresh install the final version and my data would be retrievable (providing MS make no fundamental changes to the way the RC stores data).

Simon

The main reason for asking is that I thought 2011 needed to reformat drives before they'd be used as storage so I take that this wouldn't be required if you were restoring the system drive?

So I could install the RC now, transfer over the data and then fresh install the final version and my data would be retrievable (providing MS make no fundamental changes to the way the RC stores data).

Simon

It only reformat the main OS. If you install the RC now, "DO NOT PUT ANY STORAGE" on the system drive, you are good to go. I have done it three time already. You are correct, providing they do not make changes but Iam sure they will not as there is no reason to. Since they no longer control the pool, actuall there is no pool, there is no reason for them to format any other drives. I have already moved all my production data over waiting but just in case you should have a backup somewhere. IF the rumors are true, you will not have to wait long.